New "what if" genetics question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Buster, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Buster

Buster Back to Work

What if I put a Black Orpington rooster over my Speckled Sussex hens? Any guesses on what this would look like or what genes are dominant? Also, the other way around- SS roo over a black orp hen- would it make a difference?

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I am not sure... but since your black chickens will most likely (unless they have some crazy recessive genes) lack any of the genes necessary to make the pattern come out, I think you will get Black. Either way you do it. But if you breed the offspring back to the patterened parent, you should get some interesting stuff [​IMG] But, I am just still learning how all of this works.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm thinking black chickens with lots of red in the hackle areas. I asked a similar question of a genetics guy awhile back myself when my SS pullet was in with my Black Ameraucana cockerel. The roo over the hen making a difference I'm not sure of.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  4. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:My guess is mostly black with some red showing through, at least that is what you get with Buckeye/Australops

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Very interesting. Thanks. I have a lot of thinking to do........

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It is the next generation after the orginal breeding that when bred back that should show some color. This is why it is time consuming and a slow road to introduce new colors.

7. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:That is true and that's what I'm looking to do. Would you suggest line breeding them or breeding siblings? Doing this will give DW a great layer flock I imagine. The SS and the orps are some of our best layers. [​IMG]

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Line breed until you get it established is what I would do. Breed back the best only.

9. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:Thanks. I have a new question now. It's OFF TOPIC so I'll make a new post! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by