New winter coop finished!! Upgrades on my BYC page.

thumbsup.gif
I like your nestboxes very nice
thumbsup.gif

Mike & Baby Chicken :

Absolutely fantastic!! Great job!! How was your ventilation?? Was there enough for the winter? WHat would you have done differently?

My ventilation worked great. Everything was nice and dry with hardy any smell. The top and bottom overhangs are 100% open and secured with hardware cloth to keep predators out.

What I would have done differently…

1. Add another window. The coop gets dark pretty fast in the afternoon because the only window is facing south-south east and the garage blocks the afternoon & evening sun. Then the hens would roost very early and my egg production stopped until I added a light with a timer. I am going to add a large plexi-glass window to the door when it gets a little warmer out. Maybe even add a window to the side with the roosts to pick up some late evening light.

2. Add some insulation. But I’m still on the fence if it is really necessary. Everyone made it through the winter with no insulation.​

I posted some coop upgrades to my BYC page.

New run door with access to two rotational chicken pastures.

No more worring about chickens wandering into neighbors yard with dogs. No more destroyed landscaping. Plenty of nice grass, clover and weeds to eat.

I also almost doubled my roost capacity from 8 ft to 15 feet.

Back
Top Bottom