New, with a breed question

WA23

Songster
11 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Northwest WA State
I am very new to chickens. A casual aquantance gave me five chicks about 6 weeks ago because she was just going to step on them and I told her I was wanting to start a backyard flock and could I have them instead. She agreed and gave me what I though were five Golden Phoenix week old chicks. They all looked the same when younger, but as they have grown, three of them are not looking like their mother. Could these be roosters or are they just a mixed breed, as I know she had several different breeds of roosters? Looking at the picture, the chick on the left looks like a Golden Phoenix hen the chick on the right, is the one in question. Thanks for the help as I can not keep the roosters and would not like to put any more feed in them than necessary.
14565_100_3756.jpg

The two chicks on the right and the one in the middle all look the same with large combs and wattles. The chick on the left and the one in the background look identical without combs and wattles. Do the hens just develop these slower? I think I can see the beginnings of combs on the lighter colored chicks.

Sorry, I don know what they are/might be, BUT I have to say something here........ She was going to STEP ON THEM???!!!!
barnie.gif
hit.gif
somad.gif

Ok, I'm done. I know there is culling done all around the world, (and I do it too) but stepping on them in just not cool. Poor kids.

Quote:
I am not sure what she meant by that. I just assumed she was talking about their heads when they were no more than a week old. I agree, it sounds bad, but probably no different than wringing or breaking the neck. I am glad I was there to rescue them. Now it looks like I have to cull three of them myself if I can not find a home for them soon (before they start crowing). They will be beautiful birds when they get older.

I am sure they chicks dont feel it, It just made me cring at the thought. I have 5 darling little chicks right now, and just the idea of it. Eeek!
I hope you can find homes for the cockerels (if they are friendly)....I always hate to cull a friendly roo. Seems like a waste, if someone needs a nice farm Roo.

Back
Top Bottom