New with no clue

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by etulp5, Mar 22, 2017.

1. etulp5

etulp5 New Egg

Mar 22, 2017
    Hi everyone! We are from Missouri and are new to having chickens. I am wanting to know what breed and how old these guys are.
    The one on left is a Rhode Island Red, the little middle one is a austrolup(?), and the big one on the right I have no idea. Any hints would be greatly appreciated. And yes we did take the ceader chips out, didn't know they were toxic [​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    sorry they are too young for me. Usually when they are 6-8 weeks of age, they are fully feathered out and give some early clues on gender & breed.

3. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    They are way too young to sex. In general the males will have larger combs than the females. More important, at about 8 weeks the males will have a very pink comb while the females combs will be pale. I can't even guess what breed they might be. That's not something I have much experience with.

Patience is something you need to have with chickens. You'll also have to have patience waiting for that first egg.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, etulp5, and [​IMG]! Pleased to have you aboard! I agree with D'Diva....they are too young for me to be accurate. If you'd like to chat with some fellow Show Me State poultry folks, find the MO thread in the link below and say howdy: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under etulp5 [​IMG] Welcome!

This is a link to the Gender Forum for when they are a bit older: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share more pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

6. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Cute chicks, hope you're enjoying them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by