New York mini chickenstock 2016

The secret is steaming
smile.png
I've had good peels with eggs still warm from the chicken they are so fresh using that method. Steam for 20 minutes (15 for bantam, 25 for duck), lift out the basket and dump into a bowl of really cold water. As soon as they cool off enough not to get burned, bang both ends on the counter to crack the shell and then let them soak in the ice water for a while until they are cool. From what I have read, the steam goes through the pores in the eggs and starts to separate the membrane, then the shock of the cold water finishes the separation. Opening the shell by cracking lets the water work its way in and makes it easier to peel.
Oh. my. goodness. I just tried this and it was amazing! I had given up on hard boiling our fresh eggs and figured I'd just have to buy store-bought if I wanted hard boiled. Thank you so much for sharing!

Oh. my. goodness. I just tried this and it was amazing! I had given up on hard boiling our fresh eggs and figured I'd just have to buy store-bought if I wanted hard boiled. Thank you so much for sharing!

So you actually did it? Hopefully they just slipped right off like they were greased
celebrate.gif

Thanks for sharing, horsekeeper! I was just lamenting the fact that now I have organic home grown, healthier eggs from happier chickens, said eggs are doomed to have holes in them when I peel the shell off
1f613.png

It gets so bad that the yolk shows in many of them! I will definitely try this way nex time.

@boskelli1571 have you still got your gluten of an orpington or was she rehomed? If you still have he bring her in May. If not ok I will find another.

Yes - I still have her, but she is mellowing and has finally started to lay, so I'm going to keep her. Hate to stress her by moving her again...
Do you know how many peeps will be coming? I'm thinking about what to bring. Also - for the raffle - I will make a mini-herb garden starter if you think that's ok..

Yes - I still have her, but she is mellowing and has finally started to lay, so I'm going to keep her. Hate to stress her by moving her again...
Do you know how many peeps will be coming? I'm thinking about what to bring. Also - for the raffle - I will make a mini-herb garden starter if you think that's ok..
there could be from 15-25 families /groups coming. So far I can only confirm for 3. And a mini-herb garden starter sounds great.

If she's going goof where she is that's great. No point in messing with a happy hen.

Last edited:
As of right now I am planning on being there unless something major comes up, but I don't for see anything so count me in. I may be bringing my daughter again with me, but that will be a last minute audible.

In the past the people that are coming from farther away volunteer to bring the paper goods so they don't have to bring any food such long distances. I will bring a case of water as well as something to pass.

With name tags, in the past we have used a variety of things..labels, tape, etc.. It is good to put both your screen name and your real name. Most people recognize people my their screen name so it is good to put both.

I will have some of my Magpie hatching eggs if anyone it interested. I may have some ducklings with me as well depending on how my hatches go. I have a few extra bantam chickens that I may be interested in selling. I will get some pictures in the next few weeks or so and get them posted. A few of them are frizzled.

Have to start to think about what to bring for the auction and if I'm going to bring things to sell.

Can't wait!!

Back
Top Bottom