New York mini chickenstock 2016

Sounds like an interesting mix! Blue egg layer x white egg layer: will the offspring lay light blue eggs?
Yes, that's what I've read anyways. The Sapphire cross is generally a leghorn x CCL, which lays a pretty blue. I don't have any of these yet. The eggs from our one white layer, a Blue Andalusian, unfortunately did not hatch - there were four of them - two early quitters and two that fully developed but just did not hatch. I was looking forward to those blue eggs too! .

The raffle isn't an individual basket. You buy raffle tickets and put them in whatever bag next to them raffle item. So can never have too many eggs ;) I'd put some in for blue eggs.

Questions:
I'm going to attend. I'm bringing drinks. I'm bringing my SIL and her Welsummers' fertile eggs. I won't be selling anything.
Are the donations of eggs for a raffle basket? How many baskets will there be? May I donate cash to the hostess in lieu of hatching eggs for the basket? I see many EE eggs coming and don't want to overload the raffle basket with something already there. Besides my donations of $ and drinks, would there be anything else necessary for me to bring?

Is anyone interested in a pair of special needs Brabanters for free? The hen is blind. She is about 3 and lays infrequently. She is really friendly. She wanders off and usually wanders home. If she doesn't come home I can pick her up and carry her easily. The rooster is 1. He walks a little weird due to some crooked toes. Neither of them roost, they sit on the bottom of the coop or he hops up to a low shelf. This has led to them getting sneezes right around coop cleaning time- whether before from the ammonia smell or after from fresh bedding. They recover in a day or so. An open air and fenced situation would be better than my barn. Anyone with predator issues would have to be extra careful. They would be easy pickings.
They are special needs and might not integrate well into another flock. If the home isn't right for them I will build them their own coop and keep them. They do alright mingling with my small flock, but if there is someone on here who could give them a better home, I'd like that for them. Please PM me if you think you could provide a good arrangement for them.
they sound cute!

Questions:
I'm going to attend. I'm bringing drinks. I'm bringing my SIL and her Welsummers' fertile eggs. I won't be selling anything.
Are the donations of eggs for a raffle basket? How many baskets will there be? May I donate cash to the hostess in lieu of hatching eggs for the basket? I see many EE eggs coming and don't want to overload the raffle basket with something already there. Besides my donations of $ and drinks, would there be anything else necessary for me to bring?

Is anyone interested in a pair of special needs Brabanters for free? The hen is blind. She is about 3 and lays infrequently. She is really friendly. She wanders off and usually wanders home. If she doesn't come home I can pick her up and carry her easily. The rooster is 1. He walks a little weird due to some crooked toes. Neither of them roost, they sit on the bottom of the coop or he hops up to a low shelf. This has led to them getting sneezes right around coop cleaning time- whether before from the ammonia smell or after from fresh bedding. They recover in a day or so. An open air and fenced situation would be better than my barn. Anyone with predator issues would have to be extra careful. They would be easy pickings.
They are special needs and might not integrate well into another flock. If the home isn't right for them I will build them their own coop and keep them. They do alright mingling with my small flock, but if there is someone on here who could give them a better home, I'd like that for them. Please PM me if you think you could provide a good arrangement for them.
I have a very chicken friendly and lives with my 8 week olds. If your special needs babies are cat tolerant I can give them a safe enclosed run with ground level sleeping accommodations and a 9 year old who will spoil them with worms and bugs of all sorts and types.

As for bringing anything other than your donation and drinks, YES A BIG SMILE AND A SENSE OF HUMOR! :)

Last edited:
Yes, that's what I've read anyways. The Sapphire cross is generally a leghorn x CCL, which lays a pretty blue. I don't have any of these yet. The eggs from our one white layer, a Blue Andalusian, unfortunately did not hatch - there were four of them - two early quitters and two that fully developed but just did not hatch. I was looking forward to those blue eggs too! .

Bummer about the blue Andalusian cross eggs. Sounds like a fun combination. I still have a couple blue spitz-merl cross chicks left if you'd like to claim them. (The rest are black). It's quite likely they are carrying some of the genetics for spangling or lacing which who know what the CL barring will do with. Fun with chicken genetics. :)

So I introduced the big girls to the 8 week olds and it was great. The little ones followed just a few steps behind the big ones and the bigs just walked around the Littles like they were invisible. The only problem was the cat was very interested in the tail feathers of the roosters. She thought they were for batting practice.

Code:
I have a very chicken friendly and lives with my 8 week olds. If your special needs babies are cat tolerant I can give them a safe enclosed run with ground level sleeping accommodations and a 9 year old who will spoil them with worms and bugs of all sorts and types.

As for bringing anything other than your donation and drinks, YES A BIG SMILE AND A SENSE OF HUMOR! :)
<I think I might have those around here somewhere.

I don't think cats would bother these two chickens. I will PM you to let you know. Thanks for offering.

Back
Top Bottom