New Zealand rabbit color genetics.

jkeys0218

Hatching
Jul 24, 2019
I'm trying to figure out my rabbits genotypes. Ive read the TAP rabbitry blog and a lot of posts here. I think I have a pretty good grasp of it but still a few questions. Mainly with the E series.

The buck is a broken fawn and the doe I am not sure.
I bought my doe as a black new zealand. From a few feet away she looks black but up close you can see some brown ticking and a brown patch behind her ears. So I was thinking she is agouti with steel, but the steel agouti pictures I've seen are much lighter. Then I read somewhere about agouti double steel(EsEs) being darker.

Their kits have been "black"(just like the doe), blue(also with brown ticking and patch behind ears),Broken fawn, and broken black. I dont remember the broken blacks having any brown but they could have, we sold them after they were weaned.

Since fawn is diluted red wouldn't that mean the doe has to carry non extension(e)?
Which would eliminate double steel(EsEs) but she cold be steel non extension (Ese).

Or maybe she is self not agouti. Are all self blacks solid black or can they have some brown?

This is what I have so far which could definitely be totally wrong.

Doe
A_, B_, C_, Dd, Ese, enen

Buck
A _, B_, C_, dd, ee, Enen,

Ill try and get some good pictures tonight.

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

I gotta be honest, I'm clueless about rabbit genetics still. What little I do get regarding chickens and turkeys made your post a fun read and question to ponder. I know that's not very helpful to you, sorry! :oops: But if you scroll down on this link it has a rabbit calculator... maybe it will be helpful... :fl
http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator

@Bunnylady seems like you had lots of good info in some of your posts I've seen. TIA for any help or input here! :highfive:

Following! I just got a couple new zealand whites from my sister. I know they have other colors and had black kits from white doe and red buck?? so i’m interested in understanding more of the color genetics as well!!

The TAP rabbitry blog helped me the most. It is a lot of information to take in all at once.
The first time I read it I was more confused than before I started. But reading it again a few days later it started to make sense. It is also specifically about new zealands. Most of the rabbit genetics information I've found is about other breeds. While they'er all similar other breeds have different traits and colors not present in new zealands.

http://taprabbitry.blogspot.com/2016/07/new-zealand-rabbit-genetics-its-in-genes.html

Read parts 2 and 3 also

Edit: The link takes you to part 2 but Parts 1 and 3 are linked at the bottom of the blog.

Woah, woah, woah, woah. HOLD UP. Ok, so there are only 4 colors and their broken types of New Zealands. Black, Red, Blue, REW (ruby eyed white, albino), broken black, broken red, and broken blue. ONLY those. Now, my 4h rabbit club leader raises them for meat, and for some odd reason he gets some pretty weird looking buns from his stock because he put a mixed breed in way back in a few of his breeding bucks. He raises NZ but in the past year his son has sent me pictures of 3 babies that look like cinnamons and even a harlequin looking one (all from different litters).
Basically, what I’m trying to say, is that I believe there was some mixing going on in their genetic history. For your doe, her ancestors could have been crossed with a silver fox or silver Martin (silver fox X NZ= awesome meat mutts btw). For your buck, probably got some silver in his background. Can I have some pictures? And if you know their weight could you tell me?

Im aware they are not purebred. I feel like most new zealands bred for meat are not, at least in my area. Ill go get some pictures and try to get some weights.

Doe(I know its not a very good picture. Ill get a better one tonight when I have some help) Almost 10 lbs about 9 months old.
thumbnail.jpg

Buck 8 lbs about 6 months old
R.jpg

"Blue" kit
thumbnail (1).jpg
thumbnail (2).jpg

Yeah I would say they are just kinda a bunch of different breeds slapped together with NZ dominating it all. There is probably a mutation that is in that color on the mom that carries to the baby that isn’t supposed to be there. So, let’s say there was a cinnamon added in the mix and that was were she got that coloring from. It would look totally right on a cinnamon which has a brown base color but put it on a black or blue it’s just weird

Back
Top Bottom