New Zealand

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by BEVS, Oct 9, 2009.

1. BEVS

BEVS New Egg

Nov 20, 2007
    Kia Ora from New Zealand.
    I'm at the top of the South Island .
    We've just the two pekin ducks and have just acquired a Barnevelder chicken from someone who didn't want her anymore.
    Happy Days.

2. bibliophile birds

bibliophile birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Kia Ora! i'm from the States, but i'm a Kiwi at heart. i lived in Dunedin for a year, though, and am constantly dreaming of the day i can move there for real! oh the farm i will have once i get back there.....[​IMG]

3. HELLO NZ! i'm american, and never been out of the Us, what os it like there? a funny thing i used to think when i was really little, is that i thought NZ was where Norweigh is! XD

4. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Hi Kia, welcome to BYC from southeast Arkansas

5. darkfur

darkfur Chillin' With My Peeps

Kia Ora from Upper Hutt
    I've got a back yard (1/4 acre) full of orpingtons (blue, black, buff, splash) and cayuga and muscovy ducks, a loft full of white homing pigeons, a patio full of coturnix and miscellaneous other birds, cats and fish
    [​IMG] Hughie the splash orp roo
    my avatar is one of our coturnix quail hatching - it took a bit of careful timing to take the photo

1 person likes this.
  6. bibliophile birds

bibliophile birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Kia Ora isn't Bevs name. it's a common greeting in New Zealand. it's Maori for "be well/be healthy." The New Zealand Ministry for Culture and Heritage website lists it as one of 100 Māori words every New Zealander should know, with a definition "Hi!, G'day! (general informal greeting)".

(don't worry. i didn't know it either until i lived there. the taxi driver who picked me up at the airport said it to me and totally confused me. i was expecting British colloquialisms- cheers! and whatnot- but not Maori. i thought to myself "and here i thought i wasn't going to have to learn a new language!" it's kinda like Aloha, though- everyone uses it.)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  7. mendygnl

mendygnl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Glidden, IA
    Welcome,Bev, from the heartland of the U.S., Iowa! [​IMG]

8. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Well then, Kia Ora to you Bev, from south east Arkansas

9. joannadale

joannadale Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2008
    New Zealand
    G'day to you Bev
    So cool to see another Kiwi on the list. Although I'm a Brit and moved to NZ last year to take over some land my grandfather left me. I spent a good chunk of time there last year but had to return to the U.K. after my dad was taken ill. I only got back last week and unpacked at the cottage a couple of days ago. Do stay in contact. I've found this forum to be so helpful especially for me having never done anything like this in my life!

Joanna.

http://gardencottageblog.ruqqa.com/

10. jnine

jnine Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    The Great South East
    Hey there from a Kiwi living in Aussie [​IMG] I'm from Hawkes Bay and head back there whenever I can as I do miss it terribly sometimes. I'm in Qld now - warm, humid and thunderstorms!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by