New rooster! Assistance figuring out age please

glikk

Songster
Oct 31, 2022
Kia ora,

We've introduced a new roo into the flock of 9 hens (4 pullets).

My guess is he's a barred rock mixed with who knows what, if anyone has another opinion please let me know!

I'm wondering if anyone had any clues as to how old he may be so I know how much I should watch for behavioural changes?

His spurs havent developed fully yet so he is young I'mjust unsure how many months approximately. Any rough estimates on age would be appreciated!

DSCF7084.jpg

DSCF7158.jpg
DSCF7222.jpg

DSCF7239-1.jpg

How long has he been mating with the hens now? He still looks fairly young to me. Maybe 9 months to a year?

We only introduced him to the hens yesterday so no mating or none that we've witnessed yet (he's chased a couple but they're not interested right now)

Cool thank you, that helps a bit to figure out what to watch out for

He is young, definitely under a year old. 9 months is a good estimate.

I think he is probably an olive egger, cream Legbar crossed with cuckoo Marans. He has the little head tassle of Legbars, and also the white earlobes, plus the white legs of a Marans.

Sweet thank you that helps! Hes about the same age as some of the pullets then.

I was thinking legbar or leghorn somewhere in there but he's definitely not a marans we don't have any in the country I live in, unsure if we have olive egger either.

Do you know of any other cuckoo/barred breeds that could fit the bill? Not that it matters much he's a mix either way haha.

Thank you!

Sweet thank you that helps! Hes about the same age as some of the pullets then.

I was thinking legbar or leghorn somewhere in there but he's definitely not a marans we don't have any in the country I live in, unsure if we have olive egger either.

Do you know of any other cuckoo/barred breeds that could fit the bill? Not that it matters much he's a mix either way haha.

Thank you!
There are a lot of barred & cuckoo varieties out there. Scot's Grey, cuckoo Dorkings, barred Hollands, to name a few. If you're sure that there are no Marans where you live, it could be a different cross, but I am pretty sure that if one parent was a Legbar then the other parent is barred or cuckoo, and has white legs. He's a handsome cockerel, in any case.

There are a lot of barred & cuckoo varieties out there. Scot's Grey, cuckoo Dorkings, barred Hollands, to name a few. If you're sure that there are no Marans where you live, it could be a different cross, but I am pretty sure that if one parent was a Legbar then the other parent is barred or cuckoo, and has white legs. He's a handsome cockerel, in any case.

Cool thank you, I'll have a look at what we have here.

Yeah we have a lot of regulations about bringing poultry into the country so there's little to no chance he's a marans. Dorkings and Hollands are highly unlikely too but there is more of a small chance with those. Sort of why I defaulted to Barred rock mix, simply because I know we have a lot of them around.

I'll see how he goes as he fully matures anyway, might make it clearer or more confusing.

He is indeed a very nice looking rooster quite agree with you on that!

Cool thank you, I'll have a look at what we have here.

Yeah we have a lot of regulations about bringing poultry into the country so there's little to no chance he's a marans. Dorkings and Hollands are highly unlikely too but there is more of a small chance with those. Sort of why I defaulted to Barred rock mix, simply because I know we have a lot of them around.

I'll see how he goes as he fully matures anyway, might make it clearer or more confusing.

He is indeed a very nice looking rooster quite agree with you on that!
He could be a barred rock mix but it would have to be mixed with a white skinned and crested breed. He may be a mix of mixes going way back.

Back
Top Bottom