New Zealand

BEVS

Hatching
12 Years
Nov 20, 2007
Kia Ora from New Zealand.
I'm at the top of the South Island .
We've just the two pekin ducks and have just acquired a Barnevelder chicken from someone who didn't want her anymore.
Happy Days.

Kia Ora! i'm from the States, but i'm a Kiwi at heart. i lived in Dunedin for a year, though, and am constantly dreaming of the day i can move there for real! oh the farm i will have once i get back there.....
droolin.gif

Kia Ora from Upper Hutt
I've got a back yard (1/4 acre) full of orpingtons (blue, black, buff, splash) and cayuga and muscovy ducks, a loft full of white homing pigeons, a patio full of coturnix and miscellaneous other birds, cats and fish
IMGP1423.jpg
Hughie the splash orp roo
my avatar is one of our coturnix quail hatching - it took a bit of careful timing to take the photo

Quote:
Kia Ora isn't Bevs name. it's a common greeting in New Zealand. it's Maori for "be well/be healthy." The New Zealand Ministry for Culture and Heritage website lists it as one of 100 Māori words every New Zealander should know, with a definition "Hi!, G'day! (general informal greeting)".

(don't worry. i didn't know it either until i lived there. the taxi driver who picked me up at the airport said it to me and totally confused me. i was expecting British colloquialisms- cheers! and whatnot- but not Maori. i thought to myself "and here i thought i wasn't going to have to learn a new language!" it's kinda like Aloha, though- everyone uses it.)

Last edited:
G'day to you Bev
So cool to see another Kiwi on the list. Although I'm a Brit and moved to NZ last year to take over some land my grandfather left me. I spent a good chunk of time there last year but had to return to the U.K. after my dad was taken ill. I only got back last week and unpacked at the cottage a couple of days ago. Do stay in contact. I've found this forum to be so helpful especially for me having never done anything like this in my life!

Joanna.

http://gardencottageblog.ruqqa.com/

Hey there from a Kiwi living in Aussie
smile.png
I'm from Hawkes Bay and head back there whenever I can as I do miss it terribly sometimes. I'm in Qld now - warm, humid and thunderstorms!

Back
Top Bottom