Newb in So-Cal

dramaguy11

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 21, 2013
Greetings all! I am very new and green to this, but I am trying to build a coop. I Have started on making one from an old doghouse and some wood I have. This is what I have done so far.Not much of a carpenter but I am having fun. Not sure what to do with the floor... Anyways nice to meet you all.

So far it's looking good! If you use a widely spaced wire for the floor then you could move the coop around and let them forage. Not sure how heavy it is though. Anywho, Welcome!

Thanks! I was planning to move it around the yard. Going to devise wheels for the front and handles in the back. Can the floor be chicken wire?

As long as it is pulled real tight it can be. We had ours as chicken wire but eventually it got saggy and broke. I replaced it with a layer of chicken wire and a layer of garden fence.

Howdy from Kansas, dramaguy11, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! Happy you entered the poultry universe. Not sure what kind of predators you have but be careful with the chickenwire - it is good to keep chickens in but not as effective at keeping predators out. Might investigate hardware cloth. Good luck to you!

Hello and Welcome from Los Angeles. Not sure where you are in So Cal. I am in a pretty urban area and my biggest predator problem has been hawks. Chicken wire have been fine for me but if you have raccoons or possums it may not be enough.

Glad you joined!

Hello and Welcome from Los Angeles. Not sure where you are in So Cal. I am in a pretty urban area and my biggest predator problem has been hawks. Chicken wire have been fine for me but if you have raccoons or possums it may not be enough.

Glad you joined!

Hey thanks, I am in Yucaipa, we have occasional Raccoons, Possums, and Skunks, but the dogs keep them at bay. Any of those that come in our yard are chased home real quick. I am hoping the chicken wire is enough.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom