Newb

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JustinT, Apr 19, 2012.

1. JustinT

JustinT New Egg

Apr 19, 2012
    Hello all,
    My name is Justin. My wife and I decided to buy some chicks this week at a local feed store here in NM. Picked up 4-RIR, 2- White Leghorns, and then today I decided to get a Silkie. Kind of a spur of the moment deal. I hope its okay for them all to be in the same brooder.
    Brooder is just a cardboard box with feed, water, heat lamp, and thermostat. Picked up material early this week to start making a Coop. Any advice/input would greatly be appreciated.
    -Justn

2. newchickymomma

newchickymomma Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2012
    We got chicks for the first time this year, and they grow FAST!! I would suggest taking photos each week so you can see how much they changed. And go ahead and start making coop plans. I talk to mine every day and they seem to really like it, they eat all kinds of stuff as I keep reading on BYC.

This site is awesome, so enjoy; I know I have so far!

3. JustinT

JustinT New Egg

Apr 19, 2012
    Thanks for the reply. Started on the coop this evening. Looking forward to this new experience.

4. Ourfamilyflock

Ourfamilyflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    Central Oregon
    Welcome to the family and sounds like you have the start of chicken math all figured out already!

5. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Welcome to the chicken world. Lots of good info here. I would recomend read the forums daily especially this one and you will pickup tips quick.

6. JustinT

JustinT New Egg

Apr 19, 2012
    Now what do I do? I used warm water and a Q-Tip to try to remove some fecal matter off of one of my chicks. It did not work all that well. Seems to really be stuck on her back side. Any other suggestions?

-Justin

7. cary 1973

cary 1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

little bit had that prob when i first got her relizing now she was about a day old i had luke warm water and ran her little hinny under it and then would use the qtip it took a few times but finaly her little but was clear then i freaked out thinking she has somthing coming out of her but and she was dieing on me till i looked closer and seen her but was just like the rest[​IMG] im a new mother hen had them 1 week today.

8. JustinT

JustinT New Egg

Apr 19, 2012
    anything significant about this Leghorns tail feathers? Wondering if it might be a cockerel/rooster.
    [​IMG]

9. cary 1973

i have 2 leg horns there black and white but they look like that and all reserach i have done there females and that is what they were sold to me as .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leghorn_(chicken)

it has a pic of a white leghorn hen looks just like your girl

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  10. cary 1973

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by