Newbee from Kansas City

Welcome, from Richmond Missouri! I'm just 30 miles east of KC. We're neighbors!
-BYC-sign-flash.gif

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? Second time to have chickens, first time was in New Orleans so we now have to learn to deal with winters.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? We have 11 chicks

(3) What breeds do you have? An assortment of brown egg layers

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? We love animals, we love how social chickens are and we love eggs!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? I have a custom metal shop, hunting, fishing, outdoors, camping.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. It is my wife and I at home. I have 2 grown kids, their spouses and 5 grandkids. We have a 12 pound schnauzer who loves and protects our chicks. I am a field service engineer for an X-Ray company and have my own custom metal fabrication shop.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :DKnown about BYC for a while. Thought I had joined a while back but I guess I had not. There is a wealth of information here and I want to grow by it.
Welcome to BYC!!

Glad to meet you, and welcome to BYC. What a neat and tidy job you have done with the box brooder.

You will find the chicks will outgrow that box very quickly. (Mine did!) Then you get overcrowding behavior like pecking each other, which is not nice. (Mine did). You also need to be careful about the heat levels in the plastic boxes because the materials off-gas and can poison the chicks.

With your skills you might be able to build yourself something nicer than the cardboard boxes joined together I put together. Another member talked about an old fashioned solution called an Ohio style brooder. If you search, you will find lots of instructions online, like this one and this video if you prefer.

Back
Top Bottom