Newbee mom question

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by cornelljacks, Jun 25, 2010.

1. cornelljacks

cornelljacks In the Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    Ok, I may sound crazy but I have to ask. I have 2.5 week old chickens, 8 of them all hatched from eggs we got from a friend of ours. We have no clue as to their breed or sex. This moring I was watching the babies and noticed one of them opening his or her beak and stretching its neck like it was trying to crow but no sound was comming out. Is this just something all chickens do or do you think this is a baby roo trying to crow???

2. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Songster

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    I would say it was just stretching, 2.5 week is kind of early for one trying to crow. My 2 cents....

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I don't know! I had a two day old chick streck out his neck and make a really funny noise and guess what? It turned out to be a rooster![​IMG]

4. jenni2142

jenni2142 Songster

Jul 16, 2008
    South Carolina
    Gaping is normal, I think they do it to adjust their crop. All of them do it so it is not a sign that that is a roo. If they do it a lot then it can be a sign of something wrong.

5. cornelljacks

cornelljacks In the Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    Thank you for the info. This was the first time I noticed it, but I will definately keep an eye on it!!! [​IMG]

6. Firearia

Firearia Songster

It's normal. After mine eat a lot they tend to do this, just rearranging their food in the crop. They ate too much. x3

7. MattalynsBarn

MattalynsBarn Songster

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Quote:I had a 4 day old chick do something like this yesterday, and a half hour later she had died :'(

8. Firearia

Firearia Songster

Quote:I had a 4 day old chick do something like this yesterday, and a half hour later she had died :'(

That happens sometimes... It could have been the heat because I know that it can mean that as well. Could something have been wrong with her crop?

9. MattalynsBarn

MattalynsBarn Songster

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    I don't know. it could have been either. she was having trouble pooping and was sleeping a lot too. It was hard to notice because there are 4 others that look just like her

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by