Newbie candling question

I suppose youre using a styrofoam bator. In that case DO NOT lift the lid during the hatch, but DO turn the egs 2-3 times a day. Here's how.

Pop out one of the plastic viewing ports and reach you rhand in. Roll the eggs around with your hand gently and then put the window back.

You are not trying to ensure that the chicks are evenly tanned here, so slavish devotion to "this or that side up" is a waste. Dont bother with the "X" and "O" markings you hear about - you only want to keep them moving so the embryos dont stick to the membranes inside the egg. Hand rolling will do this, and is quick.
This was taught to me by a guy who has hatched more eggs than any of us can count, combined.

I also allow a "cooling" period at several stages of the hatch, but we can talk about that later, so dont forget to ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think ducks also have a longer incubation time then chickens, so the candling may look different. I think duck eggs also require a higher humidity at some point than chicken eggs.

Poison Ivy - You should make a my page and put these pictures in it for everyones future use. Of course mention where it came from. The only hard part will be you onle get 15 spaces to make a title which makes it hard to come up with a good one.

I just would like to say thank you for this thread!! I am thinking of doing a hatch myself and I have learned more from all of you than I would have reading the "scientific" material... you all make it easy to understand!!!!!!!

Those pics are awesom!!! Cant wait til the kids get home so I can show them to them!!!
Tes

Back
Top Bottom