Newbie Chicken Mom!

NuggetsNuggets

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 19, 2014
I'm so excited... 20 days ago, I put my second batch of 41 eggs in the incubator.... Mt boyfriend bought me two incubators, because I lost an entire batch last month when the brand new incubator we bought stopped working 14 days in. So I have one that has a turner and fan in it, and the other just a plain still air incubator. We decided to use the still air one to put the eggs in 3 days before they were due.

I heard peeping coming from the eggs last night and Voila! Three new babies this morning and a fourth on the way! They look like little Barred Rockies, so far...

I'm so excited I called and text everyone I know to tell them. It's only 6am here, so I, trying to refrain from bothering people this early. Lol

I have not opened my hatching incubator because it's a little cool here this morning and my temp and humidity levels both look good. I have my "temporary" box brooder almost ready to go and am working on getting the temp in it up to at least 90 degrees. Got baby food and water ready!

So... I guess now I wait!

I'm truly a city girl, have never had kids of my own (even though I did raise the birds these are from), but from eggs all by myself! I know it's silly... But I hope you all can share my excitement!

Can anyone make any suggestions or give me ideas on what to do next? I feel a little scattered because I'm so excited and I want to make sure my babies are well taken care of... I'm all eyes and look forward to hearing from you.. And thank you!

Nuggets.

you need a box, with a heat lamp, to put them in once they get all fluffy. You should also take the shells out, so that they do not hinder other eggs from hatching. Congratulations on your babies!

Thank you! Had my box all ready to go with the heat lamp and water for the new little guys. So far. 8 have hatched and look good, and number 9 is making its way out into the world!

~Nuggets

I'm pretty excited, seeing as how I lost a whole batch last month. Looks and sounds like I've got at least 2 more trying to escape their shells...

So far.. Have gotten 15 that hatched yesterday and last night. 2 of those were Bantys, but one of them drowned in the tiny bowl of water. Poor little guy.

The rest are fat and fluffy, eating and drinking already.

I will try to get a few pics today and post them as soon as I can. :)

Back
Top Bottom