Newbie Chicken owner with a wounded hen

If that is under the wing then it's possibly spur damage from a rooster mounting. If you have a rooster I would check spurs and trim if they are sharp.
I think the neosporin will be helpful. You can trim back feathers if they are getting in the wound. It looks pretty good, I would keep doing what you have been and add the ointment.
This thread (below) has some pictures of wounds healing, so you can see what it will look like as you go. It may take awhile since it's a pretty good sized opening. I would keep her separated until it's healed enough that it won't get opened up again and won't get pecked.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wounds-pictures-of-how-they-heal.1325817/#post-21627607
Thank you, I was wondering if that may have been the culprit. I will trim spurs ASAP. Do you think she can be in the outdoor coop as long as I have her separated in her own pen?

If she's not acting sick, is eating, drinking, and pooping normally, and it's just the wound she's dealing with, then she could be crated outside. But I would slowly build up her time outside so she's re-aclimated to the temperatures. Start with the warmest part of the day, make sure she's doing ok with it, gradually build up the time she's out.

If she's not acting sick, is eating, drinking, and pooping normally, and it's just the wound she's dealing with, then she could be crated outside. But I would slowly build up her time outside so she's re-aclimated to the temperatures. Start with the warmest part of the day, make sure she's doing ok with it, gradually build up the time she's out.
Thank you!!

Ok, thank you. Do you think I should keep her in the house? I’ve been flushing because there is a “pocket” with some debris where the skin separated from the muscle/connective tissue. Would a chlorhex solution be more appropriate?
I don't think being in the house is necessary, unless that makes it way easier for you to treat her. At this point, I think the wound is too dry, and would really benefit from some triple antibiotic ointment or similar, to keep it moist. I would clean out that pocket as best you can, one more time, then pack it with the ointment. That will create a bit of a barrier, so more dirt can't get in. At least until she takes her next dust bath :) Like others have advised, keep applying the ointment 2-3 times per day, and she should start to heal up in no time.

I don't think being in the house is necessary, unless that makes it way easier for you to treat her. At this point, I think the wound is too dry, and would really benefit from some triple antibiotic ointment or similar, to keep it moist. I would clean out that pocket as best you can, one more time, then pack it with the ointment. That will create a bit of a barrier, so more dirt can't get in. At least until she takes her next dust bath :) Like others have advised, keep applying the ointment 2-3 times per day, and she should start to heal up in no time.
Thank you 😊

Back
Top Bottom