Newbie - Chik-n-hutch - reviews or input anyone?

gallinaloca

Hatching
11 Years
Oct 14, 2008
Hello all - I am looking to start a small urban flock and only have room for three hens (An Araucana, a Buff Orpington and a Barred Rock). Does anyone have a review on the Ware Chick-n-hutch? Here is a link with a photo (hope that's kosher)

http://www.waremfginc.com/products.asp?p=01490

I will close them in the coop at night but will build a covered 10x5 run and allowing the girls to roam our small yard in the evenings when we are around. My main concerns are:

• weatherproofing - I'm in Northern California not too harsh winters but will get frost most winter nights.
• placement of water and feed - seems tight in there
• any modifications other folks have made to this hutch to make it better.

Thanks in advance -
smile.png

we have that and we have 4 all together 3 chickens and 1 rooster its wayyyyyyyy 2 small, we did not know any better at the time but now we kick ourselves for spending th $ -

It was fine when they were small but now 3 months later its falling apart.

hope this helps

LOL Someone gave me one free, it aint worth the time it took to set up, I used for a bonfire for the hotdog roast a while back, thats the only good use it had.

Last edited:
With three hens, you'd be better off building a 4x4 something or nother.... check out the "Chalet de Poulet" on my website.

I think that little hutch will be too small for those three hens. They will thrive better with a little more room.

Ooooh - great website, beautiful birds and your "Chalet du Poulet" is lovely! It looks straightforward enough...I'll see if I can rally support for a project coop.

about how long did it take for you to construct and now much did you spend in supplies?

I figure I've saved $170 or so NOT buying the chik-n-hutch, eh?
wink.png

seriously... it shouldn't cost more than $100 bucks or so.

You'll need:

3 sheets 4x8 3/8 in sheathing - $33
4 2x2x8 - $6
7 2x4x8 - $14
1 roll 24" chicken wire - $10

and you'll also have to buy things like nails, screws, and 1x2's for the door frames, plus the hinges etc for the doors.

It didn't cost me NEARLY that much, because I raided a friends barn and got free 2x4's and such. Use your resources and recycle stuff. Its WAY cheaper.

Wow - Thanks for the materials list. I am nervously inspired to give it a shot. I have a source of some scrap materials and will suss it out.

I'd better get on it....chicks due 10/31. In the mean time I'll be spending lots of time staring at your design.

When I am looking for new idea, I often do a google search. Click on "images" and search for "chicken coop."

I print out all the pictures that I like, and take different aspects from each and combine them into my own design.

I hadn't thought of that - good strategy....this whole exercise is a HUGE stretch for me, I've never built anything in my life. Just enjoying the process.

this is such a great forum, I can't believe the wealth of knowledge and sharing.

Back
Top Bottom