NEWBIE- Cross Breed/Mongrel Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MikeandCandice, Jul 19, 2010.

1. MikeandCandice

MikeandCandice Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2010
    Hey peeps I haven't even got my chicks yet but the hamster is spinning the wheel in my head already. I ordered 11 chicks and hope to have at least 8 pullets. Only one breed is a st run (2 chicks/ SL Polish). My kids also picked up two bantams from the feed store with my wife. When I called the feed store to ask the breed the clerk said they are bantam chickens. When I asked clerk again what breed they were she said bantam. Guess that will be a suprise. Both are yellow chicks. Now to question/s. Please ignore my ignorance. Genetics are not my cup of tea. Although I do not believe in evolution from monkeys I could be classified as a caveman.

What color chicks would these throw?

Danish Brown Leghorn Roo X Welsummer

Danish Brown Leghorn Roo X SL Wyandotte

Danish Brown Leghorn Roo X SL Polish

Danish Brown Leghorn Roo X EE who knows what color (eggs light blue & white?)

I know that is a long ways off but curiosity has the best off me. Growing up my family raised dominkers and broilers. I want my kids to enjoy the country life they are fixing to be 2 and 3 but now is a good time to start. I am glad I found this message board. Most people on here seem down to earth, that is refreshing in itself.

2. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Chickanmanfromarkansas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    Could be any color or combinations of colors. For the most part though they will most likely be black.

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I'm not sure on what the genetic color name is for the Danish Brown leghorns, but if it is the Red Duckwing color of most brown leghorns, and Welsummers are also Red Duckwing so you will get chicks the same color as the parents, they will just be cross breeds.

Crossing the Brown Leghorn roo with the SL Wyandotte and Polish hens will give sexlinks. Gold colored hens and Silverish colored roos ( Split for both silver and gold genes)

No way to tell on the EEs becuase they are different colors anyway.

4. MikeandCandice

MikeandCandice Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2010
    Rareroo- Thats what i was thinking by reading the information sex link info by tadkerson.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by