Newbie Egg Laying Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lunkerchicken, Aug 31, 2009.

1. lunkerchicken

lunkerchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

So I have had my chickens for a couple of months now and I think that I am closing in on some eggs! I have a few newbie questions.
    What is the best way to clean the eggs?
    What is this candling I keep reading about?
    Does it actually help with making sure the egg is good inside?
    Any homemade candlers out there?
    [​IMG]

Any helpful hints that you could provide would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks BYC'ers.....
    [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You should not have to candle or clean. Don't let the hens sleep in nest boxes, and collect at least once a day. That's it. The eggs don't need washing, and candling is done as part of incubating, to check progress of development.

Commercial people candle to be sure no egg was left lying around long enough to start developing.

3. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    I only wash our eggs if they're a little, well, poopy. Happens sometimes. But I just give them a quick rinse in cold water (I read somewhere that warm water can facilitate bacteria penetrating the shell).

4. Stands With A Fiddle

Stands With A Fiddle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2009
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Another idiotic question from a n00b

So, I know store bought eggs are several months old, usually (or so I've heard). If you go out to the coop and collect an egg the day it was laid, how long until it goes bad?

They don't shoot out the chicken's butt with an expiration date, and I am genuinely CLUELESS on this point [​IMG]

5. Metanoia

Metanoia Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    South Australia
    Keep a clean nest box and your eggs will be clean enough. Wash just before using if you're worried, but since you don't eat the shell I dont' bother cleaning at all.

A fresh egg should last about 3 months, probably more. You'll taste the difference to store bought! [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Yup.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by