Newbie family saying hello

pionnier

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2018
Hello there, my mom, kid brother and I just moved onto a property where we are allowed to raise livestock so now we can achieve our goal of breeding, raising and butchering 100% of the meat that we eat. We have no issues with eating meat in itself and we actually think that it's a good thing, but we don't like his animals raised for meat, dairy or eggs are treated in the mainstream food industry, so we want to give the animals that give us eggs, milk and meat nice lives, and peaceful deaths for the animals that give us meat as well.

In addition to the dairy animals we are going to be raising (still deciding between dairy goats and Dexter cattle), we are probably going to be raising quail primarily because of how fast they grow to full weight and start laying, but because quail don't get broody ever, we would like to get ourselves a few very broody hens (from a smaller breed) to sit on the eggs, because we hate incubating eggs, and we will probably breed and keep around some chickens as well. Eventually we want to get some geese or ducks, and definitely some guinefowl, but that's a ways off.

Thanks for reading

WELCOME ARROW SMILE.gif
awesopme.jpg
:frow

Hello and welcome to BYC. I wish you the best of luck with your farming plans.

Here’s a link to the Articles section - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ There you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs.

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Back
Top Bottom