Newbie from Australia

Happy Flock

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 11, 2013
Victoria, Australia
Hello chicken lovers. I've been reading the information and forum posts on Backyard Chickens for a while, and decided to join now, since I realised I've become addicted to chickens!

My mum had chickens when I was growing up, so I guess it's in my blood. I first got my own chickens in my mid-20's after I left home. I had 3 Australorps. Then I separated from my husband and had to sell the chickens. I didn't have any for many years.

I have 5 Orpington hens now: 3 buff, 1 black and 1 blue/black. At the moment, I'm trying to hatch some babies. I've got 2 broody hens sitting on fertile eggs I bought from a breeder. They are due to hatch next week.

I love Orpingtons. They have a lot of personality and are easily tamed. I love their fluffy bottoms and how they get broody often.

Some of my hobbies are gardening and home decoration. I love gardening, both ornamental and food gardening, although I don't have a vegetable garden yet, as I've just moved into a new house.

I have a partner who is a chicken lover too and 1 cat. We bought our house a few months ago. We live 1hr and 30min away from the big city in a half acre block. Our house is old and the garden too, so there are lots of things needing fixing inside and out. We don't have much money, so we are interested in anything frugal, recycling, etc. I've been recovering at home from a chronic illness for the past 4 years and now I'm taking baby steps towards getting a job again.

I hope to find other like-minded people here. Oh, I'm from Australia, by the way!

Greetings, you are a fellow Aussie!
welcome-byc.gif

Feel free to join in on the Australian thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/598568/australia-six-states-and-that-funny-little-island

Hi Drumstick Diva, I'm in Melbourne, Australia.
I didn't know there was another Australian thread. I will search for it. Thanks. There's a lot of things to read here!!!!

Back
Top Bottom