Newbie from California

deegee68

In the Brooder
May 23, 2015
Hello everyone,

My wife and I are building our chicken coop and we are excited. She is from Iowa and has raised cattle and pigs and I am from California. This is both our first attempt at raisin chickens.

Our coop is resembling something like this with a footprint of 6 1/2 ft x 2.9 ft (aprx 18 sq ft)
Roost area is approximately 2.9 ft x 1.9 (5 1/2 sq ft) with an additional nest box area attached to that about the same size.

Question is how many hens do you think we can comfortably house. We have 3 but would like to go 4 if possible. I have attached a picture that is about the same size as the one we are building.

Thanks for any help!

General rule of thumb is about 3sq ft per bird. I'm no expert but that seems to work out well.

Will you be free ranging?

Welcome!!

40 years experience here.might be ok if your gonna let them out during the day otherwise 2 hens.You want your hens to thrive not just survive

Just how big is the inside of your coop length x width not including the roost space or nest boxes? Chickens should have 4-5 sq.feet per bird, inside the coop and 10 sq.feet per bird in the outside coop. When chickens are crowed they get stressed, fight, feather peck and in worst cases resort to cannibalism. The ready made coops and kits offered always over -exaggerate how many chickens can be held inside. Actually their idea of sizing is like the clown cars where a dozen or more seem to pour out of a mini car. Not at all acceptable for chickens.

You may want to check the coop section for affirmation on this.

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to BYC!!
welcome-byc.gif

I'm glad you joined the flock!!
wee.gif

Many adventures await you and your flock. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask around!!
big_smile.png

D.gif
jumpy.gif
-Turkenstein25
jumpy.gif
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom