Newbie from Indiana

GreeneAcresFarm

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 8, 2011
Hello! Finally took the time to join vs. browsing this great site.

We are new to farming and chickens. My wife and I grew up in the country but not on farms. Two years ago we purchased 32 acres to raise our two sons on from a distant relative. The land was part of his 80 acre farm that has been in the family since the 20's. It has been heavily neglected the past 20 years so a lot of clean up has been done with even more to follow in time. Our plan is to slowly bring the entire farm back up to full operation with hay fields, a few head of cows, a couple of hogs and of course chickens!

Our two boys have been begging for chicks for a year. I have been browsing this site along with chicken and farm magazines to prepare for the adventure! The boys won out this week and we now have eleven chicks in the garage. We put together a quick brooder but are building a nicer one that is more secure with a removable rabbit hutch pan for easy clean up. We got five Rhode Island Red pullets and 3 Ameraucana and 3 Araucana (so they claim?) straight run. We look forward to watching these chicks grow up. I have to get working on the coop that will be attached to one of our barns and hope to have it done in time for them to graduate into! Shouldn't be to hard to complete as the roof is there we just need to enclose and finish off the inside. Considering I spent all summer building house this is a small project!

Thanks again for such a great site and great articles.

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. Sounds like a great piece of heaven.
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom