Newbie from Jupiter, Fl

abrown1088

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 10, 2013
Hello Everyone!
My husband and I just bought a new house with some land and we have always talked about having chickens, and now the time has come. I haven't yet purchased my chicks because I haven't decided what breed I want. Any suggestions? Is there a breed that is more friendly than other breeds? We have a 7 year old daughter who loves chickens and loves to carry them around so a more friendlier breed is a must. Also if anyone has any tips on how to train dogs to accept chickens please share :)

Hello and welcome....so glad you joined BYC

Congrats on your land purchase!

There are so many nice, friendly breeds of chickens. Thats going to be a tough decision for you :) There are such good qualities about each breed.

Dont have any experience with dogs but someone here will surely be able to give you some pointers on that.

Best of luck with your chick decision. Enjoy and please share your pics :)

Last edited:
frow.gif

Greetings from Kansas and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our flock! Type in a searchin the BYC search bar for "dog and chickens" and be prepared to do a lot of reading and a whole lot of opinions. Good luck to you!

welcome-byc.gif
Silkies are a good, smallm docile breed and kids tend to love them but, they are not known to be good layers. They do tend to go "broody" (want to hatch eggs) often, and you could put any breed of fertile eggs under them at that time, and they will sit.

Cochins and Buff Orpingtons are other choices.

Thank you for everybody's input! I have made my decision and I am going with Buff Orphingtons and Silkies. Now to just find some babies for sale! If anybody can help that would be great!

Back
Top Bottom