Newbie from nw Indiana

chickman70

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 25, 2014
Hello everybody I'm one of the new kids here. I'm going to be starting my flock with 2 chicks in the next few days and hope that I enjoy it enough to grow my herd! I look forward to using some great ideas I've seen here for coops and brooder advise I've read.

I'll be starting with a tractor for now and maybe moving up from there.

I'm looking to get a RIR and a barred rock to start. Are these docile and family friendly? I have 2 young kids that will be handling them so I'm looking for some docile birds...

Thanks for any and all advice in advance!

Randy

Hi, i'm new to this site. Well, this is all new to me. I live in wheatfield Indiana We are 10 mins from demotte. I have had chickens for 7 years. Right now i have 2 birds that were listed as Acuras thou they look like americanas. I all so have 3 dark brahma's soon to be adding 3 light brahmas. All so have 2 dogs and one fat cat. No worrys he's not that fat just a little. The vet just says hes heathy. I've looked at back yard chickens to get lots of help but never join cuz, i too am kind of chicken but, i thought what the heck theres other peeps from around this area. :p

my first egg :)

And that's a good size egg. :)

hey i am a newbie here too, i have a magazine with different chicken breeds and it says that the Rhode Island Red hens are calm and easy to handle but the roosters can become aggressive. not sure about the barred rocks

I have some barred rock eggs in my incubator there's 2 of them that were mine and they were fertile they hatch in 8 days so let me no

images

You might like to do some reading in our learning center here on BYC. Lots of good reads on all aspects of keeping poultry from building the coop, brooding and raising your new babies, feeding your adult flock and keeping them healthy and safe.There is even a section on making brooders as well...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Rhode Island Reds and Barred Rocks are very docile and friendly birds. Spend a lot of time with your new babies, and they will bond nicely with you.

Great to have you aboard and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Last edited:
Oh, and make sure the young kids don't kiss the babies and always wash your hands after handling baby chicks. :)

Back
Top Bottom