Thanks for popping in! Ah Ireland is beautiful! I hope you are all safe and sound after hurricane Ophelia.

Ah sorry about the mutt chicks. I asked the breeder and he said they are Rhode Island White chickens - his employee must have given me the wrong chicks. Apparently they are great layers, so yes, healthy and they will lay just great.

Yes, quite a bad one. Huge culling in the Western Cape (farmers are devastated and a massive egg shortage has been predicted), and it has been reported in Mpumalanga and the border of Gauteng. When was the outbreak you're talking about?
I'm a bit worried since we have mysteriously lost 3 of our ducks over the last few weeks.
We got hit quite hard by the hurricane, but we're safe and sound over here. And have another storm coming this weekend :th

It's interesting, I could not find Rhode Island White (or for a long time Red) for any amount of love or money down there. Apparently they are great birds, I loved my Reds!

Oh my word… Western Cape again? We had that there outbreak about…. 5 years ago. Closest case was 35km from where I lived! (Near Oudtshoorn) I had the State vet and co breathing down my neck as I had a huge flock of chickens at the time and they were NOT happy about it.

Secure your poultry housing and keep an eye out for mongoose, if they are in your region. Those things are terrible once they found a flock of birds. They'll go for whatever is easy, chicks, hens, eggs.. A large rat foot trap (LandMark sells them) works a charm ;)

Hi all!

My hubby and I have started a small pastured chicken egg operation. Our first batch of babies have started laying eggs and our younger batch are around 6weeks old. There is an egg crisis in SA since a major outbreak of Avian Flu.

These are our Potch Koekoek chickens (7 mo):
View attachment 1159961

These are our Boschvelder and New Hampshire (though I don't think the supplier's staff selected the correct chicks because those white ones don't look like NH, but more like Leghorns). Some ducks too:
View attachment 1159962

Anyone else here from South Africa?

Hii AnneDrum what kind of grains do you use to feed your flock?

View attachment 1160515
What challenges to you have to raising chickens in South Africa?
Thank you!
I don't think the natural challenges of raising chickens here are different to anywhere else TBH. The biggest worries really would be:
1) Stock theft (so security is a must).
2) Predators - we have owls in our area, so little chicks make nice snack. Also the occasional Jackal and animals like the Muskeljaatkat (Gennet). The occasional egg-eater snake also inhabits our surrounding areas. So the flock just needs protection in this regard.

There has also been an Avian Influenza scare in some of our provinces.
I hope that answers your question :)

Back
Top Bottom