Newbie getting ready for winter - Insulating? Closing down Windows?

Pics
In case anyone still reads this thread - for the last few weeks I have been following

I just wanted to say thank you for the suggestion. For the past few weeks I have been picking up the poop in my coop. I LOVE IT! The coop stays clean, their feet stay clean, the humidity stays low. I lose a little bit of hay along with the coop, but since my coop is always clean my bedding never smells and I don’t need to replace it.

I didn’t do the litter scoop. I just use a cheap blue glove on one hand and pick it up and throw it away. I can reuse the glove multiple times.

This has been a game changer for me. So thank you. Now all I need to do is figure out how to do that in the run - but I doubt it.
I also reuse the gloves several times. I do pick up the worst in the run and then periodically sprinkle fresh shavings over the old. Because my girls are molting right now it much more difficult to see all the poos, but I get the worst of it.
In case anyone still reads this thread - for the last few weeks I have been following

I just wanted to say thank you for the suggestion. For the past few weeks I have been picking up the poop in my coop. I LOVE IT! The coop stays clean, their feet stay clean, the humidity stays low. I lose a little bit of hay along with the coop, but since my coop is always clean my bedding never smells and I don’t need to replace it.

I didn’t do the litter scoop. I just use a cheap blue glove on one hand and pick it up and throw it away. I can reuse the glove multiple times.

This has been a game changer for me. So thank you. Now all I need to do is figure out how to do that in the run - but I doubt it.

I thought it was best to have ventilation above only in the winter. Hence, would it be better to close the pop door at night?
I always close the pop door in winter. I feel it gives an extra layer of protection, plus we get strong swirling winds here so keeps the girls out of the draft.

I am interested in temps where chickens are comfortable vs what they can tolerate. What are your thoughts on temps for bantam roosters?
I can't assist. I only raise production birds, and pay no attention whatsoever to most threads on Banties, I simply don't have the time.

Thermodynamics dictates that smaller birds have greater difficulty maintaining body heat, but the differences aren't that great - in this study of mammals (yes, not avians, so limited utility) the effects were really noted only in mammals under 100g, about 1/4#.

I therefore suspect, but honestly am only BSing my way thru, that the comfortable temperature range for bantams and full size birds are likely within a degree or two of each other. But I could be COMPLETELY WRONG.

What I do know is that larger birds, which I do have experience with, are far more susceptible to drafts which displace their feathers (impairing their natural insulation) and moisture than they are to low temperatures, and thus my focus would be there. I also know that pack creatures of all sorts, from bees and wasps thru penguins and dogs will huddle together for warmth when needed - so this is a case where having 2 or 3 likely results in a need for more warmth than a flock of 10 or 12.

And finally, I know that wind chill doesn't matter. Wind chill is a measure of *perceived* temperature on exposed skin. Ours. If a chicken is willing outside in the weather, the weather is obviously not a problem for them. If they are inside a well ventilated coop, protected from drafts, there is no wind on them to chill. So ignore the hype from the weatherman on those rare opportunities when the weather is the news. Well, maybe not ignore - you shold protect yourself when venturing out in it - but as far as your chickens are concerned, you can largely disregard anything but the thermometer.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom