Newbie Getting Started in Colorado

emallonee

Hatching
Jan 19, 2016
Boulder, CO
Hi all!
frow.gif

I've found all of your shared experiences so helpful as we have been planning for adding chickens to our family so I'm happy to be joining you! I'm located in Boulder, CO although only transplanted out here 5 years ago from the East Coast (central PA then MD). Mom to a second grader, 2 rescued black lab mixes, 2 tanks of fish, and soon to a flock of 4 hens. Chicken coop arrives after being built by a local craftsman in less than 2 weeks.

Buying started pullets from a locally owned and operated feed store, but still not 100% sure on the breeds we'll bring home. I initially thought that I'd go with 4 Buff Orpingtons, but my son is hoping for a little more variety. Considering the possibility of getting 2 of the Buff Orpingtons and either 2 Barred Rocks or 2 Brahmas. My son wants the Barred Rocks, but I'm thinking the Brahmas may be a better temperament with the Buff Orpingtons from what I've read in reviews. My husband is just happy with anything that produces eggs! Anyone have either of these combos in their flocks?

Looking forward to meeting folks and learning more!

Erin

welcome-byc.gif

I have 3 Barred Plymouth Rocks in my mixed flock. They are well behaved and get along with all the other chickens. They aren't lap sitters but they don't mind an occasional petting. They are good layers of large light tannish colored eggs.

If you haven't already done so, be sure and take a look at the Learning Center. There are a lot of good articles there to help you get off to a good start. And always feel free to ask questions.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Congratulations on getting your first flock!

Welcome to BYC, Erin. Glad you decided to join our flock. Barred Rocks are generally docile and should do fine with your Buff Orpingtons as long as they are not overcrowded. However, based on my personal experience, Brahmas do tend to have the calmer and more gentle temperament (big lap pets). :eek:) Also, with the possible exception of Silkies, Brahmas are probably the quietest breed I've ever had. However, keep in mind that there can always be an exception with any breed. Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, and Brahmas are all good layers--typically 3-4 brown eggs per hen per week for all three breeds. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Last edited:
Hi Erin - top advice already given so I'll just say a big hello and welcome to our community. Hope you enjoy keeping chickens as much as the rest of us. :)

Ct

Welcome!

I have 4 Barred Rocks. They're super sweet and get along with my Rhode Island Reds. They love attention but aren't crazy about being picked up and held. And they're excellent layers!

Howdy neighbor.

I'm guessing you're picking up birds from Wardels. Only store I've heard of that sells started pullets. I do not know where they get their birds from but you might ask over on the CO thread. All 3 choices are nice easy going birds. Brahmas have been one of my favorites. Big talkers, dominant (head hen has always been a light Brahma), helpful and attractive to boot. Not the best layer but steady.
I will be selling started pullets this spring if you need more.

Thanks everyone! We ended up finding started pullets from someone in the mountains outside of Boulder instead of from Wardles, and they arrived today! They were raised by a CSU poultry grad and his son about the same age as mine was involved in raising them. Here is our amazing coop that it took 5 guys to get into our backyard and our new pullets:

We ended up going with ten week old pullets- 2 BRs and 2 RIRs. So far, the BRs seem right at home but the RIRs are a little bit skittish. We'll see how they are after they get all settled in!

Back
Top Bottom