Newbie got a coop!

Janos&Jen :

Hello everyone! I am VERY new here. I have 10 four week old chicks and was lurking through here trying to find a good (and inexpensive) plan for a coop. I decided to check craigslist to see if anyone had one, and this is what I came up with for a very good price:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/jenjenboben19/chickencoop.jpg

It is a child's playhouse with inside dimensions of 48.5"X46.5". I know this is not large enough to house 10 chickens but it will be large enough for 4 right? My husband went a little crazy when purchasing our bittys because it was cheaper to buy more. We will either get more space for them or give 5 or 6 to someone we know that has chickens.

I have been looking at everyone's set ups and I am pretty sure I can make it all work. I just want to make sure the space is enough. I plan to have 2 nesting boxes for the 4 chickens.

Thanks so much for your input!
jumpy.gif

Only four??? you could fit fifteen if you build a run or if they free range... we have ten in a coop the same size.​

Great score! Looks like an old-timey train depot. I would be cautious about the 2nd tier thing. For one thing, they will all fight to get to the highest place for roosting, and that is something you want to avoid. For another thing, you will find that it is extremely hot at the top of the coop next to the roof decking in the summertime. I would look into adding some ventilation at the highest points, like at the gable peaks and soffit (if there is any soffit to ventilate) Perhaps a louvered cupola in the center of the roof? Would look cool and would also help cool the inside considerably.
wink.png

Being as you are in a warm climate, you could do a really large run and have roosts out there. They might tend to stay out on those all night instead of the coop. It would have to be really secure tho to leave the coop open overnight. Electrified, tunnel-proof, and enclosed overhead too. Make it big enough to walk around in also. You will be glad you did. Could be that some will want to stay out all night most of the year in a covered roost area. A BYC member in Colorado has chooks that roost in his trees even when it snows!

put your roosts in front of the window.. they love love love to look out while roosting. that is adorable by the way . we also didn't use a bunch of nest boxes we made one communal and they love it. they all share it together. since you have palm trees you must be where it is warm so that is plenty of space since they will be outside of it almost all the time and inside just to sleep.. enjoy your babies

Thanks so much for the advice and kind words. I will let everyone know how things progress! Haven't eggsactly (
tongue.png
) decided how we will do everything yet.

ohhh that makes me soooo dawggone jealous!!!! envious!!! covetous!!! ummmm, ok, i am not supposed to be any of those... Happy for you on the wonderful find!!!!
that is PREEETTYYYYYYY!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom