Newbie Here are my chicks coop ready?

I just was reading about the cardboard idea! does the box have to be completely boxed off? Or like the bottom half would be ok

I just was reading about the cardboard idea! does the box have to be completely boxed off? Or like the bottom half would be okay?
The more closed the warmer it'd be but half would help too. Mines folded shut atm with a door cut out to one side. The older ones will probably be too tall for it come next week so I may need to open the top up or find a bigger box. Just ask the tractor shop or any local shop tbh for a spare box. Here's a pic of my set up so far which seems to work. Temps here are around 11 degrees c {51F) at night. Also a pic of my girls because well I think they're cute and you can see who goes in the box.

Attachments

• IMG_20210419_153211.jpg
    IMG_20210419_153211.jpg
    512.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210419_153221.jpg
    IMG_20210419_153221.jpg
    772.3 KB · Views: 4
I’m in Sacramento too! Hi neighbor! I too am brand new to chickens and don’t have any advice for you, hoping to see what others have to say :) but I’m loving having chickens as well, they’re way more fun than I expected! I will say that I wouldn’t risk the 4 week old outside quite yet since the nights are still cooling down to the mid 50s...and that fuzz just doesn’t seem terribly warm—but I am also crazy paranoid and worry all the time so I may be over thinking it some 🥴 your babies are too cute!
Howdy neighbor! Yes I’m paranoid also but the room I keep the chickens in is getting out of hand. So I think for the next few days I’ll bring them in at night but keep them in the coop during the day, than near the end of the week keep them out there with a cardboard box! Because the brooder I had did go out one night on them and they were fine so I’m not too paranoid now cause that was pretty shocking, so I’ll do the cardboard box and I think that they will like that.

The more closed the warmer it'd be but half would help too. Mines folded shut atm with a door cut out to one side. The older ones will probably be too tall for it come next week so I may need to open the top up or find a bigger box. Just ask the tractor shop or any local shop tbh for a spare box. Here's a pic of my set up so far which seems to work. Temps here are around 11 degrees c {51F) at night. Also a pic of my girls because well I think they're cute and you can see who goes in the box.
Omgosh yes yours are adorable also! I will definitely get a box for them I think that’s a great idea!

Yeah my husband suggested that we give them a few days just outside and bring them in at night. I just wasn’t sure if this is stressful on them? I attached our temperatures and would love your opinion!
Quite warm, then, so they can easily spend the entire day out at this point.

I'd remove all heat at night in their brooder, give it a few days so they're used to not having it, then they can move out.

Yes it’s actually 4x7! I made sure before we picked it up it’s a lot bigger than pictures look. My best friend gave me the dimensions, and than we are still gonna extend it more also too and do a few more upgrades! Like I wanna get stuff that will help them be interactive and so forth. But you should of us seen us, we had to get VERY a creative on how to get into my backyard haha 😂
So happy to hear this! Your chooks should be very comfy in it!

Your babies are adorable! I am also a newbie - I've only had chicks for a week, so no wise advice from me yet. But, I agree, these little fluffy fuzzballs are quite sweet & lovable. Wishing you and your chickens health and happiness!

Back
Top Bottom