1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie here from eastern Long Island

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by irischick, Mar 8, 2013.

1. irischick

irischick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Hi everyone. I have been wanting chickens now for two years. This is finally the year. I am researching coops, designs and plans to come up with what I am looking for. Also been researching breeds of chickens. My neighbor has been giving me eggs - all sorts of colors and it is so exciting. The maximum number of ladies I want is about 10. I have so many questions and have been doing so much reading and research. If I want about 10, my coop should be about 8 x 5? Reccs on an automatic door? I leave at 6:30 a.m. and return at 5:30 10 months of year (teacher) and not sure if I should open the door that early - especially in the winter. There will be an attached and enclosed run area of about 5 x 20 feet.
    If I start out with 5 can I introduce 5 more a few months later or just jump in and get all 10. I might adopt some from my neighbor who has 22 in a coop that is too small. Not sure! First things first, gotta build the coop.

I am glad to be here.

Karen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by