Newbie here - is poultry netting sufficient for run?

HeyKZ

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2021
I am in the researching stage of chicken keeping. I plan to get a smaller sized coop like this for 3-4 chickens for my urban backyard.

I want to allow the chickens to free range in a given area during the day, but also want to protect from predators (just in case). My question is, could I contain the chickens with poultry netting (something like this) during the day in any given area I create? I would also plan to cover the top with the same material so birds would be discouraged from preying upon the chickens. I also like the idea of having a movable run so I can save my grass from being ruined.

My question is - would this work? Does anyone else do this?

I am in the researching stage of chicken keeping. I plan to get a smaller sized coop like this for 3-4 chickens for my urban backyard.

I want to allow the chickens to free range in a given area during the day, but also want to protect from predators (just in case). My question is, could I contain the chickens with poultry netting (something like this) during the day in any given area I create? I would also plan to cover the top with the same material so birds would be discouraged from preying upon the chickens. I also like the idea of having a movable run so I can save my grass from being ruined.

My question is - would this work? Does anyone else do this?
I have friend who does it. The only problem is that they had a coon get one chicken but hawks don't mess with them.

I have a similar netting around my garden bed. I would be worried about animals being able to break through that though for a chicken run.

On another note, you probably don’t want to hear this, but that chicken coop from tractor supply is not going to work well. Pre fabs are cheaply made and fall apart very quickly. It also wouldn’t be big enough, in my opinion.

General rule of thumb is

4 square feet per bird in the coop

10 square feet per bird in the run.

1 square foot per bird of permanent 24/7 ventilation.

For 4 birds, you would want 16 square feet per bird in the coop, 40 square feet per bird in the run, and 4 feet of permanent ventilation.

I believe @3KillerBs has a coop that you could base off of that fits requirements for 4 chickens.

From what I've read, you can only count on poultry netting to keep chickens in, not keep predators out. The surest thing is hardware cloth, and I think it should be smaller than 1/2"...

In my experience, we have not actually had any predators go through metal chicken wire (plenty have gone over or under though 😓 ), but I think with enough determination most predators could get through it pretty easily, especially when it starts to rust.

I think it really depends on the predators in your area and how hungry they are.

I have a similar netting around my garden bed. I would be worried about animals being able to break through that though for a chicken run.

On another note, you probably don’t want to hear this, but that chicken coop from tractor supply is not going to work well. Pre fabs are cheaply made and fall apart very quickly. It also wouldn’t be big enough, in my opinion.

General rule of thumb is

4 square feet per bird in the coop

10 square feet per bird in the run.

1 square foot per bird of permanent 24/7 ventilation.

For 4 birds, you would want 16 square feet per bird in the coop, 40 square feet per bird in the run, and 4 feet of permanent ventilation.

I believe @3KillerBs has a coop that you could base off of that fits requirements for 4 chickens.
I want to hear it all! Thanks for sharing a link to that other coop as well. I wasn't dead set on this particular coop, so I appreciate any coop recommendations.

I use it over the top of my run...hardware cloth for the walls. Nothing has gotten in yet, but my coop is about five feet from the back door, we have dogs, and our yard is fully fenced. Not that it would stop a predator attack - and I’m sure a fox or raccoon could get into the run if they reeeeally wanted to, but I work from home and my office overlooks the run. At night, they’re locked up tight. I am also installing an electric fence around it - I think @cmom has a lot of good examples of poultry netting on the top and wire + electric on the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom