Newbie here! Researching a topic that I am VERY interested in...

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by JAuck, Jan 12, 2013.

1. JAuck

JAuck New Egg

Jan 12, 2013
    I currently studying the laws and ordinances across the country for backyard chickens for a college course. One of my assignments requires that I locate the dates for when law/ordinances were passed with regards to backyard chickens in cities. Does the "last updated" date under each city correctly correspond to when the ordinance/law was passed? For example:

Normandy Park, Washington Chicken Ordinance
    [​IMG]

Chicken Ordinance Are Chickens Allowed in this location Yes Max Chickens Allowed 10 - dependant on lot size Roosters Allowed No Permit Required No Coop Restrictions set back from any property line a minimum of 10 feet City/Organization Contact name N/A Additional Information 6.04.065 Rules and regulations relating to fowl. (Normandy Park Municpal... read more
    So in above example, I am assuming that for Normandy Park Washington, backyard chicken ordinances were just passed. Am I a correct in this regard??? And if not, is there a source I can use else where? I have tried clicking on the available links provided, but for a lot of the cities the links led to websites that were not longer available. Any help would be much appreciated!

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Intuitively, updated would imply that a change has been made to an existing item. Consequently, you may have to intensify your efforts to find the date enacted.

Chris

3. JAuck

JAuck New Egg

Jan 12, 2013
    That is what I am finding Chris. Thanks for the thought. J

4. Mahalo

Mahalo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2012
    Troy, MI
    I wanted to let I just published an article that is meant to be a guide for local officials looking to change their chicken ordinances. The article is called

Illegal Fowl: A Survey of Municipal Laws Relating to Backyard Poultry and a Model Ordinance for Regulating City Chickens

And it was just published in the Environmental Law Reporter out of Washington D.C.

You can access the article for free at a website called SSRN (stands for Social Science Research Network). Here is the link:

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2119494

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments on the article. I look forward to hearing from you all here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by