newbie here! some questions

Loretta212

Songster
8 Years
Sep 27, 2011
Meriden ct
i have chickens as long as I can remember but never really had them for meat just eggs and well pets lol. I like to hatch my own chickens the only problem is you end up with a lot of roos and i cant keep them so i was wondering what would make a good DP breed. im really interested in Sussex and have read they make good DPs but dont have any experince on it. What would you hatch to keep as egg layers and meat birds?

Any of the dual purpose breeds will work for meat and eggs. That is what they were developed for. The ones that immediately come to mind are the Sussex, Australorp, Delaware, Orpington, Chantecler, Buckeye, any of the Rocks or Wyandottes, New Hampshire, Rhode Island Reds or Whites, Salmon Favorelles, or Dorking. I'm sure I am forgetting some.

Quote:
awesome! there are a lot of chickens on that list that i would like to keep as hens! thank you
smile.png
i know they have the cornishx but i think its weird how they grow so fast and big i dont mind waiting for the chickens to mature a little

I'm considering raising Dorkings for meat birds. If I really wanted a good dual purpose, which is also a great layer, though, I'd probably choose a Naked Neck. Not so good to look at but really meets the definition of dual purpose, plus is very hardy. Really lays well, not broody and gets a nice big carcass.

Back
Top Bottom