Newbie Here

JagZilla

Chirping
Oct 31, 2018
Brandon, Mississippi
My Coop
My Coop
My wife and I started the Ketogenic lifestyle in June, and, have been going through 4-5 dozen eggs per week ever since. She has a friend at work who gives her eggs in return for our empty store-bought egg cartons (he can't keep up with our consumption, so we have to buy eggs at the store too).

Because we prefer the taste, and health benefits of our friend's "homegrown" eggs, we've decided to raise our own backyard flock. I've been silently stalking this site for a few months, and, I have bought Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens (4th ed), Raising Chickens For Dummies, Building Chicken Coops for Dummies, and Hobby Farms' Chickens 101. I'll be building a walk-in coop w/ an outside run this winter, and buying various laying-breed chicks in February.

Our city ordinances limit us to 2 hens per person (no roosters allowed). With 7 of us in my house, we can legally have 14 birds. I'm thinking about starting with a mixed flock of Heritage RIRs (not the hatchery "production" versions), Buff Orpingtons, ISA Browns, Black Australorps, either Ameraucanas or Cream Legbars, Marans (love those dark brown eggs), and Blue-laced Red Wyandottes. Hopefully the hens can keep up with our consumption. I chose those breeds no only for their output, but, also for their appearance and temperament, in hopes that this will also be a great experience for our 4 grand kids, who live with us.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! We are glad you joined the flock!:welcome BYC is a helpful site providing all the information you need to know about poultry! There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: Those books are very comprehensive on chicken keeping. Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

smiley welcome.gif

Hi, it's nice to have you here! Sounds like you have 'homework' to do this winter...enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom