Open Air Coop In Central Mississippi

JagZilla

Chirping
Oct 31, 2018
Brandon, Mississippi
My Coop
My Coop
Earlier this month, I started a thread about wanting to build a 6'x10' Stoddard Southern coop for my 14 chicks. After reading some very helpful comments from experienced members here, I decided to scrap those plans. I'm now building a 8'x8' open air, shed-style dirt floor coop of my own design.

Because we have very long hot, humid Summers, and, rarely see Winter temps much below freezing, I wanted something very open & ventilated. Although the drawings don't show dimensions, the front wall is 7' high (including the 4x4 base), and the rear wall is 6' high. The rear, and side walls have full 4'x8' sheets of plywood along the bottom, and hardware cloth up top (as indicated by the various shaded areas in the drawings). The front wall only has plywood on the door, and, on the lower 18". I plan to use 4 - 1'x1' exterior access nesting boxes on each side wall, and I'll attach a 10'x10' chain link dog kennel to the front of the coop, as a run. I will likely also use clear corrugated panels to make some detachable covers for the large open areas, during any extended cold spells we might occasionally have.

Coop Front Wall A.jpg
Coop Back Wall A.jpg
Coop Side Walls A.jpg
I built the base out of 4x4x8ft posts, and attached welded wire fencing to the bottom of it, in order to keep out predators.

I also picked out a shady site along the northern fence line of my back yard.
IMG_20190323_123944009.jpg

I thought the site was pretty flat, and would only require minimal prep to make it level. Boy, was I wrong. Today, I spent 8-9 hours of quality time with a flat-nose shovel, a pick axe, and, a 4' level, cutting through roots & getting everything level for the base. I finally finished, and, set the base in place just as it was getting too dark to do any further work, and the storms were rolling in.

I'm really going to be feeling this in the morning.

IMG_20190330_192850795.jpg

IMG_20190330_192954564.jpg
IMG_20190330_193317966.jpg

Next I'll use landscaping staples to hold the welded wire flat to the ground, and, put a couple inches of dirt over the wire. That should happen tomorrow, along with building at least one or, two of the walls...if I'm not too stoved up to move.

As with my previous coop idea, I'm open for constructive criticism, and helpful ideas.

Last edited:
Chickens love to scratch and will dig in the coop and will scratch down to the wire in no time flat. They might injure their feet scratching at the wire. It would be better to have a ring of welded wire around the outside.

I would put at least 6" of pine chips in there. I need to cut 6" off my door and add a board under it to contain the pine chips in my run and that's on my list too.

Large overhangs are nice to keep the rain out. Will you have a covered run attached to the coop or are they going to free range in your yard?

Have you planned out the inside of the coop?

What is the square opening that says "Double Up" for?

JT

I agree-it;s amazing how much chickens dig! My coop is raised off the ground and has a wooden floor. I keep at least 7-8" of wood chips in there, and they are still constantly digging and scratching right down to the bare floor.
I;m just thinking cleanup could be difficult in the coop with the wire covering the whole bottom, but since I don't have that situation, I can't say for sure.

Chickens love to scratch and will dig in the coop and will scratch down to the wire in no time flat. They might injure their feet scratching at the wire. It would be better to have a ring of welded wire around the outside.

I would put at least 6" of pine chips in there. I need to cut 6" off my door and add a board under it to contain the pine chips in my run and that's on my list too.

Large overhangs are nice to keep the rain out. Will you have a covered run attached to the coop or are they going to free range in your yard?

Have you planned out the inside of the coop?

What is the square opening that says "Double Up" for?

JT
Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

The coop will have 1ft overhangs all around (10ft sheets of tin). I also have a 10x10 chain link dog kennel that will attach to the front of the coop. I'll cover that with a tarp. The covered run should help keep rain from coming through the large front opening.

The space labeled "Double Up" are headers above the area for the exterior nesting boxes on the side walls, and above the door on the front wall. Basically their just 2 - 2x4s turned on edge, to distribute the load to the studs on each side of them.

Inside the coop? There will be a hanging waterer & hanging feeder. The roosts will be either hinged, or removable (for cleaning under them) ladder style, at the back of the coop. There will also be a roost or two in the run.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

The coop will have 1ft overhangs all around (10ft sheets of tin). I also have a 10x10 chain link dog kennel that will attach to the front of the coop. I'll cover that with a tarp. The covered run should help keep rain from coming through the large front opening. The overhang should keep the rain out of the upper open area while allowing ventilation.

The space labeled "Double Up" are headers above the area for the exterior nesting boxes on the side walls, and above the door on the front wall. Basically their just 2 - 2x4s turned on edge, to distribute the load to the studs on each side of them.

Inside the coop? There will be a hanging waterer & hanging feeder. The roosts will be either hinged, or removable (for cleaning under them) ladder style, at the back of the coop. There will also be a roost or two in the run.

UPDATE
Between the storms and other commitments, I didn't have time to work on the coop during the week. However, I did give quite a bit of thought to what jthornton, and a couple others, said about the possibility of the chickens hurting their feet scratching at the welded wire. The thought of cutting out the center section of the welded wire really didn't appeal to me, mostly because of the wastefulness of it. I just wouldn't have any use for the cut out section, and, would likely throw it way.

Then I remembered that I had 4 - 60lb bags of concrete left over from a fence project I did last Fall, and, decided to retain the welded wire, and use it as sort of a light weight rebar for a thin concrete floor.

IMG_20190406_104245403.jpg

Those 4 bags didn't go very far, so I had to buy 9 more 80lb bags to go with them. All total, I lifted, mixed, and poured a half ton of concrete today (980lbs, actually, but, with the water, I rounded it up to an even 1,000lbs for the sake of my ego).
IMG_20190406_145755836.jpg

IMG_20190406_152358897.jpg

I got it all poured and under cover just in time for the storms hit this afternoon.

Unfortunately, the rainfall was more than a match for my aging canopy, and, the wet concrete is now under an inch of water (I didn't shoot a photo of that). I'm not sure how that will affect the curing process. I guess we'll just have to wait, and see.

It's been a stormy couple of weeks. Perhaps I should say, its been stormy on the weekends, and, when I have been home after work during the week. However, between dodging tornadoes (so far, 34 confirmed in in my state, in the past week), I somehow managed to get my walls built, having finally finished the side walls, and getting all four walls erected on the foundation yesterday.

Up until this point, I felt like I wasn't making any progress with the build, because, a flooded concrete slab, and some screwed-together 2x4s leaning up against my house, were all I had to show for my efforts. Once I got the walls erected, I experienced a greater sense of accomplishment, and, renewed enthusiasm for this project. Not that I really needed the additional motivation. 4 six-week old pullets currently being housed in the small greenhouse in the background of my 1st photo here, and, 9 younger-but-rapidly-growing chicks living in a large dog crate in my garage, are plenty of motivation to get this thing buttoned up.

Coop Walls1.jpg

Coop Walls2.jpg

Coop Walls3.jpg

One of my wife's co-workers gave us 4 milk crates to use for nest boxes, but, the plan I originally drew up called for 4 externally accessible nest boxes, so, I went ahead & framed them into the side wall, just in case the milk crates don't work out as well as anticipated. This way, I can retrofit the external nest boxes by just cutting the appropriate area in the plywood siding, rather than re-framing the entire wall after the coop is built.

I hope to work on it enough in the evenings, to at least be able to get the tin roof on it, as well as the hardware cloth and plywood siding on the sidewalls, before the next storm hits this Thursday.

Last edited:
04-24-2019 UPDATE

I had hoped to get the side walls finished and the roof on before the storms roll in tomorrow morning, but, I didn't quite make it. I managed to get the rafters notched & installed, and the hardware cloth and plywood up on one side wall. I guess that isn't too bad for just one person working a couple evenings. I probably could have finished the second side wall today if I had not run out of 1-1/4 inch screws and fender washers. I used some of the few remaining screws to tack up the plywood on the unfinished wall, to help keep it dry inside during the rain. I'll go to HD tomorrow, while it's raining, so I'll be stocked up for what I hope will be the final push, this weekend.

IMG_20190424_191636111(1).jpg

I have one wall framed for external access nest boxes, in case I decide to install them.
IMG_20190424_191808570.jpg

Luckily I have a tarp large enough to cover the entire coop. Hopefully, the clips and stakes will keep the tarp in place until I remove it after the storm.
IMG_20190424_193933409.jpg

Back
Top Bottom