Newbie Here

adirondak5

Chicken Picken
Aug 28, 2019
L.I. , NY
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all . Just joined the other day . I am just getting into chickens and building a coop . My daughter kinda got me interested and of course the grand kids are all for it . My friend who lives about 200 miles away always gives us eggs from his chickens when we visit and they are so good we thought we should have our own . My wife and I have custody of 3 young Grandsons (sons children) who all love eggs and my daughter and her 2 children live close by so plenty of eggs get eaten around here . I just started on the coop today , I'll post a build thread on it in the coop forum . I've been reading a lot here and else where , trying to learn all I can before we actually get our chickens , also want to get the coop finished . Not set on any specific type yet , we like brown eggs so thats a preference , we are located on Long Island , NY so we do get some cold and snow here (out in Suffolk Co.) . Anyway , thanks for the great forum and I'm glad to be here .

Last edited:
Hi! :frow Welcome to BYC! I think studying what type of chickens you want is a great idea! When I started out I had similar questions and settled on Buff Orpingtons, Australorps, and Rhode Island Reds. They have all been great, produce a lot of eggs and entertainment, and are cold hardy. I love them all, but the BOs are just the best hens. I'm just now starting out some Lavender Orpington chicks. Hoping they will be as sweet as my BOs. Good luck!

Hi all . Just joined the other day . I am just getting into chickens and building a coop . My daughter kinda got me interested and of course the grand kids are all for it . My friend who lives about 200 miles away always gives us eggs from his chickens when we visit and they are so good we thought we should have our own . My wife and I have custody of 3 young Grandsons (sons children) who all love eggs and my daughter and her 2 children live close by so plenty of eggs get eaten around here . I just started on the coop today , I'll post a build thread on it in the coop forum . I've been reading a lot here and else where , trying to learn all I can before we actually get our chickens , also want to get the coop finished . Not set on any specific type yet , we like brown eggs so thats a preference , we are located on Long Island , NY so we do get some cold and snow here (out in Suffolk Co.) . Anyway , thanks for the great forum and I'm glad to be here .
Welcome to the birdie site..:)

Back
Top Bottom