Newbie ?...How do you clean a pasty butt??

augustmomx2

Songster
11 Years
Aug 31, 2008
Central Indiana
So I'm a newbie and my babies are arriving either Thursday or Friday. I have read several posts in regards to pasty butt and since mine are traveling from TX to IN, I'm assuming I'll have a few pasty butts to deal with. How do you clean them? Do you use baby soap or just warm water? Do you use a new cloth/towel for each baby or are you swapping "germs"? Any info will be greatly appreciated
smile.png

my daughter and I use q tips for the tiniest backsides, cottonballs for the larger ones. Just plain water works. If it gets dried on there, tweezers. New cottonball or qtip for each backside. I base this solely on the "ick" of rubbing more dirt on an already dirty backside.

Then there's germs, but recycling backside stuff is not good practice.

Hope this helps! Happy growing!
tongue.png

Well, pasty butt is usually more induced from stress making their droppings runny, not any sort of bacteria or disease, so don't stress too much over cross-contamination or the like. Warm, damp compress usually gets the job done from here, because all you're trying to do is break up the droppings and wipe off the feathers. Soap can help with especially stubborn cases, but I'd use it as a last resort before feather clipping and plucking, because they might accidentally ingest the soap if you don't really thoroughly clean the soap off.

Best of luck, be sure to post pics!

Back
Top Bottom