Newbie! How much dirt do chickens need?

frankengirl

Hatching
Apr 11, 2015
Hi everyone! My name is Jen and as soon as my husband and I buy a house here in Los Angeles I get to have chickens! the coop will follow city ordinances and the area doesn't have many natural predators.
My question is, a potentional home we may buy has a mostly concrete backyard. There is a small patch of dirt and foliage of about 2 feet by 5 feet. I'm guessing chickens need to forage and I'm not sure if that's not enough dirt for them to peck in. Tearing up some concrete is an expensive but doable option. I'm planning on having 3-4 chickens.
Thank you so much.

I'll be honest and say upfront that I'm still in the researching mode myself. Could you build the run on some concrete blocks sitting on the existing concrete and then fill it in with some dirt and grass? That would give them something to scratch around in but not be something that would destroy the current concrete.

I have read some people get a kiddie pool and fill it with dirt for the chickens to dust bathe in. We live in the country so ours have plenty and I have never had this issue. Hopefully another urban chicken keeper will respond to you soon.

Welcome to BYC! :frow

All of that is very doable and much easier than I expected! This forum is really raising my confidence about keeping hens. I guess I though they had to forage in grass for bugs every day to be happy. But according to everyone else a run with sawdust, dirt or grass will do the trick!

Back
Top Bottom