Newbie in many ways!

Of course my houses aren't near as nice as the one you built but this gives you an idea of something you could do If you don't want to cover the whole floor area with deep shaving especially since it's so large an area.

this one is looking inside from outside, to keep shaving from falling out the door I put a board up to keep shaving where they belong.

This is the stall in the building see ho it's inclosed

This shows the feed room to the left, stall on the right and straight ahead hen nest boxes with another small room underneath if a duck wants to lay wen egg there not fancy but functional

Last edited:
And I have 7 two week old Rhode Island Red roosters upstairs in the brooder. I got them with the Bantam order I made and I can't even give them away. I hate to think abut what I may have to do when they get older. I am trying to explain to them that unless they turn out to be really really nice that they need to work on their wings since we are fond of hot wings. They just peep and ignore me. Wish I could send you a couple.

Only 1 I only need 1 thank you. RR are nice chickens I am surprised no one wants the 2 roos.

Only 1 I only need 1 thank you. RR are nice chickens I am surprised no one wants the 2 roos.
I even advertised in the local paper and offered to deliver them locally and not a single call. At this point I am getting a bit attached to them and am trying to figure out how and where I can do a bachelor pad for them. That and hoping they just get the pecking order thing over quickly and don't keep fighting and kill one another. If they go overboard I may have no choice but to finally learn to butcher a chicken. I think the "dressing" I could do even though it is messy. It is the actual killing that I will have a hard time with. I have had to put down a severely injured bird in the past and that still haunts me.

I even advertised in the local paper and offered to deliver them locally and not a single call. At this point I am getting a bit attached to them and am trying to figure out how and where I can do a bachelor pad for them. That and hoping they just get the pecking order thing over quickly and don't keep fighting and kill one another. If they go overboard I may have no choice but to finally learn to butcher a chicken. I think the "dressing" I could do even though it is messy. It is the actual killing that I will have a hard time with. I have had to put down a severely injured bird in the past and that still haunts me.
That would be the hardest thing, I've helped with plucking and cleaning but the actual killing, I just hope my dh is always here if one needs to be done from illness or injury. We've had as many as 6 extra roos and I'm telling you by the time they reached 16 weeks old and ready to butcher I was ready for them to be. The fighting was awful. But these were bantam game roos so they had the fight in them.

thanks for the post on my thread guys, it's really helpful and insightful, gives us an idea of what we're in for GULP! sounds traumatic at times but must be worth it otherwise why would you!?

already started clearing for chickens now!
big_smile.png
and maybe ducks! think we've got the bug already, animals are certainly a tie but the cats have already created that so in for a penny as they say.

slowly getting our geese to move around the terraces now with a bit of gentle persuasion, did I mention i found one of them 'swimming' in the drinking water?! picture attached!

they seem to indiscriminately drink and swim in both pond and drinking bowl these days, we change the drinking water daily, don't suppose drinking the pond water will hurt?

wish i had a bigger space and house for them, i know it's plenty but I can't walk in ours and it's hard to segregate areas but we'll cope i'm sure, like your setup Lydia, can't help think i've gone to a bit too much effort on our first animal house.

thanks for the post on my thread guys, it's really helpful and insightful, gives us an idea of what we're in for GULP! sounds traumatic at times but must be worth it otherwise why would you!?

big_smile.png
and maybe ducks! think we've got the bug already, animals are certainly a tie but the cats have already created that so in for a penny as they say.

slowly getting our geese to move around the terraces now with a bit of gentle persuasion, did I mention i found one of them 'swimming' in the drinking water?! picture attached!

they seem to indiscriminately drink and swim in both pond and drinking bowl these days, we change the drinking water daily, don't suppose drinking the pond water will hurt?

wish i had a bigger space and house for them, i know it's plenty but I can't walk in ours and it's hard to segregate areas but we'll cope i'm sure, like your setup Lydia, can't help think i've gone to a bit too much effort on our first animal house.

What you have there is delightful. and geese will drink and poop etc in any water they find.
sickbyc.gif
But there ya go!
Happily here, When I´ve had extra cockbirds, I´ve given them to my neighbours and they have them for dinner. Everyone´s happy! Happily, I seem to breed far more hens than cocks, so that´s really nice!
How do your geese react to a it of lettuce? Mine will go absolutely anywhere for a lettuce leaf!

p.s. see what I use for a pond.. I dig ahole and I use a child´s pvc pool to lay in the hole for the geese. I take off the legs, and put it over the hole. it´s easy to lift it to get the water out, or if I´ve filled it, I use a bucket to get the most out, and then just tip. and the geese like it because it´s ground-level.

Last edited:

big_smile.png

For some reason I thought you could walk in yours. sure looks big enough for a 5"3' woman anyway. lol and as livin say's it's ver nice. I'm sure your geese love it. Ducks did I see ducks mentioned???
lol.png
Oh Boy

Throwing those BIG words around again.
tongue.png
Just Italian for Poultry Math...I'll bet you knew that already. I hear that the Italian strain of Poultry Math is really bad this year too. Personally I think they need a couple of Pea Fowl. The blue and purple are pretty but I am partial to the solid white. Maybe a swan couple as well...in black.

Back
Top Bottom