Newbie in many ways!

Sold my golf clubs before I left England!
th.gif

However I used a rake last night as had been advised before, some long bamboo canes sound like a good idea though! We'll see how we do over the next few days I think before spending more money, been a €600-€700 investment on all the fencing and timber for their shiny new house! Hope it lasts many years! sure it'll be worth it.

Just uploading some pics now...

That looks fantastic, I love the 'Cedar Palace'! Looks like the Hanging gardens of Goosendom! Or 'Gite du L'Oie'
lol.png
You´ve done a great job, you´ll love having them, and will your visitors be able to visit them too? And little baby oislings running around in the spring? Will it get very cold where you are during the winter? Have you given them names?

That looks fantastic, I love the 'Cedar Palace'!  Looks like the Hanging gardens of Goosendom!  Or 'Gite du L'Oie'  :lol:   You´ve done a great job, you´ll love having them, and will your visitors be able to visit them too?  And little baby oislings running around in the spring?  Will it get very cold where you are during the winter?  Have you given them names?

Thanka for the compliments! :) our visitors can see them when they getn out of the car but we'll let them visit, we encourage guests to walk up the terraces anyway to see the improved views.

Haven't givwn them names yet, friends have suggested all sorts, goose willis, goose lee etc etc, we're still thinking on it :)

It does drop below freezing overnight here in the depths of winter average temps are 6 degrees C, what shoukd i be doing to keep them comfortable?

Last edited:
Beautiful house and grounds. and lovely geese. Ventilation is very important do the top windows open? looks like Kitty is stalking them  how funny.

Florence did indeed try to stalk them until the gandee flapped at her and she ran and hid under their house! :)

The side windows open and are their access, they stay propped open all day, also there is a four inch gap along the tops of the wall at the front and back of the house for ventilation, covered in chicken wire, you can't tell from the photos but i thought that was plenty of ventilation?

We bought a hanging feeder which stays in their house overnight, we have been removing it when we let them out to encourage them to eat grass and put it back in at night to encourage them back in the house, is this good practice?

We we're also given a powder type feed that we were told to mix with old bread that had been soaked in water every couple of weeks, that sound correct?

We don't leave water in the house overnight as i think they woukd make a right mess, they have taken to sitting in their drinking water bowl ans making a right mess outside so don't want that indoors, we have sunk a nice big rectangular pond into the ground for them and think they are switching to using this now but still think water in the house would create a mess, is this this ok?

Florence did indeed try to stalk them until the gandee flapped at her and she ran and hid under their house! :)

The side windows open and are their access, they stay propped open all day, also there is a four inch gap along the tops of the wall at the front and back of the house for ventilation, covered in chicken wire, you can't tell from the photos but i thought that was plenty of ventilation?

Sounds like ventilation is good. you just have to be careful with water fowl and ammonia build up or they can get aspergilous [probably spelled wrong] I keep top windows open here even in winter to make sure there is good air flow and it gets right cold here in winter, but as long as the air isn't blowing right over them they do fine
We bought a hanging feeder which stays in their house overnight, we have been removing it when we let them out to encourage them to eat grass and put it back in at night to encourage them back in the house, is this good practice?

We we're also given a powder type feed that we were told to mix with old bread that had been soaked in water every couple of weeks, that sound correct?

We don't leave water in the house overnight as i think they woukd make a right mess, they have taken to sitting in their drinking water bowl ans making a right mess outside so don't want that indoors, we have sunk a nice big rectangular pond into the ground for them and think they are switching to using this now but still think water in the house would create a mess, is this this ok?
Putting a feeder in to encourage them in of an evening is fine but don't give food with out water. they need water to wash down the food and keep their eyes and nares clear. So be sure to remove the feeder before closing them up, I don't put food nor water inside my houses they are just way to messy. Or if they like romaine lettuce maybe try using it to lure them inside of an evening that way they won't have feed stuck in their nares over night.
I have never figured out why people say feed bread to geese or ducks for that matter, it has no nutritional value for them. a little bread once in a while as long as not moldy is okay as a treat but not as feed. A good quality feed will go along way in keeping your geese healthy and disease free. plus grazing of course. Powder feed doesn't sound to good. can you post a pic of nutritional value or ingredients? I do make fermented feed for my flock by using hot water and Apple Cider vinegar mixed with feed, I find mine don't care for fine powdered feed, but making FF keeps the powder under control. so making FF works good here. You can look up Sally Sun Shines Fermented feed page if interested.
I bet they like their pond you'll have to share pics with us. How are they settling in? are they getting friendlier?

Thanka for the compliments! :) our visitors can see them when they getn out of the car but we'll let them visit, we encourage guests to walk up the terraces anyway to see the improved views.

Haven't givwn them names yet, friends have suggested all sorts, goose willis, goose lee etc etc, we're still thinking on it :)

It does drop below freezing overnight here in the depths of winter average temps are 6 degrees C, what shoukd i be doing to keep them comfortable?
They´ll be fine in their little spot. They have a lovely little palace there. Chuck a bit of hay in now and again, and they´ll do well. Geese have been kept in barnyards on european farms for hundreds of years. :)

Back
Top Bottom