Goose suddenly acting afraid of me

Jan 28, 2020
This is sort of an odd, unique question. We have two Sebastapool geese that are five months old. We think one is male and one is female. Since we've gotten them, I've been like "mom" to them. They got a lot of socialization with us as goslings, and now we take them out of their fencing to go on "walks" every day on our property. Usually when it's feeding/watering time, they will come over to me while I do chores, and the male specifically will stay right by my side. He likes to be pet and they both will lay down next to us if we're sitting outside.

However, the last two days, the male has been running away from me and I'm not sure why. He's acting scared of me all of the sudden. Is this normal goose behavior at this age? We've had geese before, but not ones that like us (lol) so I have no experience with this. No aggression, just tries to get away if I come near him. He runs to hide under the coop, or to the other side of the fence, if I start walking towards him. The female has been her normal self.

The only changes lately:
1. Their fencing was moved on Sunday (but this is not abnormal for them- it gets moved every few weeks and never any issues with it)
2. We are using a hose now instead of 5 gallon buckets to tote water, since they're closer to the house. I switched to buckets today again and no change in behavior.
3. We picked up 2 dogs that were dumped on the side of the road. They spend some time on our enclosed porch and are nowhere near the geese (porch is a 2nd story porch and is probably at least 100 ft. away from fencing), but they can see each other.

But he hasn't been acting afraid of the hose itself, and doesn't hide from the dogs view, he just does life as usual in his fence unless I come in, so I'm skeptical if that is related to the above. Anyone have experience with this or advice? Lol, he's been like a dog-goose, so I'd like to rebuild that if possible. Thanks 😜

This is sort of an odd, unique question. We have two Sebastapool geese that are five months old. We think one is male and one is female. Since we've gotten them, I've been like "mom" to them. They got a lot of socialization with us as goslings, and now we take them out of their fencing to go on "walks" every day on our property. Usually when it's feeding/watering time, they will come over to me while I do chores, and the male specifically will stay right by my side. He likes to be pet and they both will lay down next to us if we're sitting outside.

However, the last two days, the male has been running away from me and I'm not sure why. He's acting scared of me all of the sudden. Is this normal goose behavior at this age? We've had geese before, but not ones that like us (lol) so I have no experience with this. No aggression, just tries to get away if I come near him. He runs to hide under the coop, or to the other side of the fence, if I start walking towards him. The female has been her normal self.

The only changes lately:
1. Their fencing was moved on Sunday (but this is not abnormal for them- it gets moved every few weeks and never any issues with it)
2. We are using a hose now instead of 5 gallon buckets to tote water, since they're closer to the house. I switched to buckets today again and no change in behavior.
3. We picked up 2 dogs that were dumped on the side of the road. They spend some time on our enclosed porch and are nowhere near the geese (porch is a 2nd story porch and is probably at least 100 ft. away from fencing), but they can see each other.

But he hasn't been acting afraid of the hose itself, and doesn't hide from the dogs view, he just does life as usual in his fence unless I come in, so I'm skeptical if that is related to the above. Anyone have experience with this or advice? Lol, he's been like a dog-goose, so I'd like to rebuild that if possible. Thanks 😜
Did you do anything out of the ordinary? Like did you pick one up against their will? I had a gaggle that was pretty friendly until the day I sold one of them. I went into their house and caught the one I was selling. The flock was never as friendly after that " trauma event".

Did you do anything out of the ordinary? Like did you pick one up against their will? I had a gaggle that was pretty friendly until the day I sold one of them. I went into their house and caught the one I was selling. The flock was never as friendly after that " trauma event".
I picked him up unwillingly yesterday to kind of check him over, but that was after the running away started.

He knows that you are the one responsible for all the changes. They do not like anything new.
Hmm, I was afraid of that, but he seems to like the new space more. They're on fresh grass, etc. They always are happier with the fence move. Hopefully the behavior passes with time, it's a bit discouraging! He's my favorite bird of ours

Are you wearing different clothes than you did before?

New haircolour or hairdo?

Wearing a hat?

Is it only you he is afraid of now or humans in general?
Nothing new, appearance-wise.

That's hard to say. He's never been buddy-buddy with my kids or husband, just me. He's more passive/avoidant with them, but usually he's next to me like a little shadow when we're outside with them.

Back
Top Bottom