Newbie in need of chicken ID help!

Maybe one will be a male and make it easy. If not, you'll have to make decision like a responsible, level headed adult. Chickens make lousy pets, especially with kids, for this among many reasons.(everything eats chicken or eggs, predators are everywhere). Good luck!
I have never considered my chickens as pets either but some folks do like my niece, her two sons, and other great nephew. I am just glad they appear to love chickens as much as I do.

Duncan with the Carver's Silkie Bantams (6-25-2022).jpeg Kayla, Wyatt and Brody with the Silkie Bantams (June 2022).jpg

Maybe one will be a male and make it easy. If not, you'll have to make decision like a responsible, level headed adult. Chickens make lousy pets, especially with kids, for this among many reasons.(everything eats chicken or eggs, predators are everywhere). Good luck!
It’s not likely one will be male. As of now, they are all female and no signs of larger red combs forming or masculine plumage. So yeah, I might have to make that responsible adult decision unless the authorities that be will permit a temporary allowance. We shall see what happens!

As for being pets, perhaps having so few of them has provided more positive intimate interactions with me and my grandson. If anything, I have been seriously surprised by their playful natures.

Thanks for wishing me the best of luck!

I have never considered my chickens as pets either but some folks do like my niece, her two sons, and other great nephew. I am just glad they appear to love chickens as much as I do.

View attachment 3166507View attachment 3166508
Awe! They really do seem to enjoy them!

View attachment 3166507View attachment 3166508
Awe! They really do seem to enjoy them! I think it’s a great experience for kids in particular. The nature of caring for animals/pets provides a sense of responsibility and respect for life in general.

I wouldn't live anywhere that limited the amount of chickens I could have. That just ain't right with chicken math being a lifelong vocation for me.
People just don’t understand how real chicken math is. I have 15 hens, 2 roosters and 15 young of which 2 are roosters. I can’t go to tractor supply or rural king because if I do I head straight to the chicks. 🐣🐥🐔

People just don’t understand how real chicken math is. I have 15 hens, 2 roosters and 15 young of which 2 are roosters. I can’t go to tractor supply or rural king because if I do I head straight to the chicks. 🐣🐥🐔
I have to restrain myself at TSC, too! My local ordinances keep me in check. I am 100% sure that if I did not have such restrictions and had more space than my simple suburban dwelling has now, I would be increasing the size of the flock. 😂😂😂

Hello Rae0611, don't know about anyone else but the waiting is killing me. Has the inspector been out yet? and were you able to keep the 7th bird? In your situation you had to get your coop approved and inspected to meet an ordnance regulation?

In the small town where I live on the MS Gulf Coast, you are now allowed 4 hens, no roosters. With "Special Permit", you can have 12. We bought some rural property 40 miles away so I can have "my" chickens. I now have 46 hens with 5 roosters in with them and another pen with 18 freezer camp roosters. As soon as it cools off some.........well, you know. I just rec'd a Surprise package that had 50 chicks of who knows what breed and 5 guinnea keets. :)

Help, chickens are an addiction!!!! :)

Hello Rae0611, don't know about anyone else but the waiting is killing me. Has the inspector been out yet? and were you able to keep the 7th bird? In your situation you had to get your coop approved and inspected to meet an ordnance regulation?
Hi Redmike! No, I have not had the inspection as of yet. I did speak with the inspector and he told me to just give him a call when the coop is completed. The weather has not been cooperative with the times I am able to build this coop! I am definitely getting frustrated with the building process. I am hoping to have it done this weekend. I have the base, the 4 walls, and nesting box all framed out. I have 4 more rafters to cut and can then assemble all of these parts. Once done, I will be able to have the inspector come out for final approval. I also had to attend a class and take a test. Once the test has been finally marked and approved along with the inspection, I will receive my backyard chicken license. I agree! It is definitely testing my patience! As for the 7th girl, I did have a discussion with the inspector and the instructor. No provisions were made for her. I was able to find a good home for her! My neighbors granddaughter ordered chicks from a local hatchery and only 2 of them survived. She wanted to get a few more. I personally know her and know she will be diligent in introducing her to the 2 girls she already has. She will be well cared for and protected from any hen pecking that might occur. This gives me some peace of mind. Thanks for asking!

How are you making out with your process?

In the small town where I live on the MS Gulf Coast, you are now allowed 4 hens, no roosters. With "Special Permit", you can have 12. We bought some rural property 40 miles away so I can have "my" chickens. I now have 46 hens with 5 roosters in with them and another pen with 18 freezer camp roosters. As soon as it cools off some.........well, you know. I just rec'd a Surprise package that had 50 chicks of who knows what breed and 5 guinnea keets. :)

Help, chickens are an addiction!!!! :)
You are definitely an example of “chicken math”!!! 😂😂😂

Back
Top Bottom