Newbie in NH

yuckyuck.gif
I know how it is!
lol.png

Update in my poor picked on flock.
D.gif
Yesterday morning I opened the doors to the coop and let the 4 girls in there (the 5th is still in the barn recouping from her brutal attack) out to free range while I was at work. I was happy when I got home to see 3 of the ladies milling around and enjoying their new found freedom. After spending some time outside with them I went in to the house to pull dinner together. I was a little worried about the cinnamon one that was attacked the day before, since she was no where to be found....until I walked up on my porch and realized she had found a roosting spot in the eve of the porch roof. (it is a log cabin with a covered wrap around porch) She flew out into the yard as soon as she saw me, so all was well...all 4 were there and accounted for.
clap.gif

As I was watching them out the kitchen window while I was cooking dinner the worse thing possible happened. As soon as cinnamon got anywhere near two in particular they would run after her, I thought this was just a way of playing. BOY WAS I WRONG! All of a sudden the two that were chasing her FLEW towards her and both at the same time pinned her to the ground with their feet and started to peck the hell out of her!!!!!
th.gif
Of course I flew out of the house and yelled at them and when I did they flew off of her. She just laid there until I got close to her and then she got up and skittered away. At about 7ish they all went into the coop all by themselves, I was watching from afar. As cinnamon went in the two bullies immediately went after her again and chased her out of the coop! I got cinnamon in the coop (the coop is split into two sections thankfully) on her own side and as soon as they didn't have her to pick on they turned to the 4th hen that wasn't previously involved in anything.
somad.gif

I got the two bullies now quarantined to one side of the coop with access to the outside run and cinnamon and her other hen buddy, who seems to like her as they were cuddling together on the roost (which is why this hen is now named "Buddy")
hugs.gif
, in their own area and THEY are allowed to roam freely on the property. BOY where the two bullies mad at me this morning when I didn't open their door to let them out.
tongue.gif
I promptly asked my FB friends that have chickens if anyone wants the two nasties. I don't have the heart to deal with the brutality of them.
hit.gif
I have one person that is 95% sure he will take them, since he has 2 coops and they will be able to be happy and separate from anyone else,but will still be able to stay together. So what I thought was loss of feathers on backs and neck from roosters, I now think that it is from these two birds that can't seem to get along with anyone else but each other. I am going to stick with the 3 picked on girls and see how they do...if that doesn't work out I am going back to cats and dogs!
idunno.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom