Newbie in VA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JumpWithPanache, May 5, 2009.

1. JumpWithPanache

JumpWithPanache New Egg

May 5, 2009
    Hampton, VA
    Believe it or not, I wandered my way over here from Chronicle of the Horse Forums.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    (A1) Yep, new to chickens, but none yet.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    (A2) See (A1)

(3) What breeds do you have?
    (A3) See (A1)

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
    (A4) My landlord in Northern VA had a flock of (I think) RIRs and I loved getting fresh eggs every week. I moved my horse to a working farm in February which also has a flock of RIRs and assorted other adoptees. Through reading chicken stories on COTH and messing with Lulu and Paco (who I think are both Cornish) I think I like chickens. Have already told DF (Dear Fiance) that we shall have chickens at some point, preferably pretty ones for fun and eggs.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
    (A5) Horses, as I'm sure you've guessed. I have a 6yo warmblood mare who is developing into a nice little hunter and will likely be a very handy jumper or Eq horse.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    (A6) Getting married in October, DF has two teen/pre-teen kids. We have two Himalayans (my kids) who have a new Heinz57 kitten coming this month, can you hear George (kitten) saying "pwease come pway wiff me Uncle Gizmo and Uncle Shaggy... pweeeeease." As for occupation, I work for the DoD :-D We hope to have our own little farmette in the not too distant future and I think a dozen chickens would certainly serve our egg needs and be fun to have around.

Look forward to getting to know folks!

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG] from Washington

You'll like it here.

Imp

3. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    [​IMG]
    Hi From The West Coast
    [​IMG]

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida.

5. Kelpie

Kelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Charles Town, WV
    Welcome! I imagine we aren't too far from each other!

6. JumpWithPanache

JumpWithPanache New Egg

May 5, 2009
    Hampton, VA
    Thanks all! We're renting our house right now, but looking to buy in the fall. Is that too late for chicks? If so we'll just build the coop (DF loves wood working) and plan for early babies :)

The horse seems to like chickens too, they come into her stall when I leave the door open (stall chain across) and stand next to her while they all eat hay. She didn't particularly like the egg that she accidentally bit into though. It happened to get laid in her feed bucket and she just assumed it was a cookie. The [​IMG] look on her face was priceless.

7. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    hello and [​IMG] from indiana

8. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by