Newbie in Washington State with quick question

2buzy

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 1, 2013
Hi I am brand new to the chicken world :)

I have been researching the heck out of everything in hopes of choosing a sweet breed that can embrace a crazy household. We are looking for egg layers.

I am hoping this is where I ask if for advice on if it is better to order the chicks online or at the co-op? I just don't want them stressed and don't know how much older they are in the store. We only wan to start with 3-5 chickcs.

Thanks for any direction / help on this adventure.
Kate

Greetings from Kansas, 2Buzy, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! Good question! I think (but not sure) that co-ops get their birds from the same hatcheries you or I would. Personally, I've always had good luck with hatcheries and ordering through the mail. Below are a couple links you might find useful. The first is a chart that compares breeds by attribute. The second is a link to breeders and hatcheries. Happy reading!!

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16/chicken-breeders-hatcheries

welcome aboard...and hello from PA. I am a newbie also. I would suggest finding breeds that will weather well and be more 'friendly'. Get you sea legs before diving in the deep end...lol, my two cents...

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us!

I'm in No.Indiana, right near to the Mi line so my weather is pretty cold and snowy. I read the egg laying info at two hatcheries, Townline in Mi and McMurray from somewhere. They both tout the Australorps for best egg layers. However, you have to buy at least 15 from Townline and 25, I think from McMurray. Unless you can get someone else to share or sell them grown or eat what you don't want, those hatcheries are out.
I have 12 hens and 2 roosters. Wyandottes were supposed to be good egg layers also, so I have half each. Laying is phenomenal. I usually get 10 eggs a day, even in the cold weather and they won't be a year old until May1st. I'm not sure all are laying yet.
The solution to the amount you want to end with, is buy roosters and eat them when grown. However, you must know, these roosters are very afraid of people or protective of their flock -not really sure, but they attack humans and dogs easily. One of mine will end as meat!! I had Lockenvelter roosters once when I bought a varied fancy breed and they never attacked me. They were beautiful also. BUT I think it would be easier to butcher the mean kind than the nice ones!
Happy chicken sharing!

Back
Top Bottom