Newbie in Washington State with quick question

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 2buzy, Mar 1, 2013.

1. 2buzy

2buzy New Egg

Mar 1, 2013
    Hi I am brand new to the chicken world :)

I have been researching the heck out of everything in hopes of choosing a sweet breed that can embrace a crazy household. We are looking for egg layers.

I am hoping this is where I ask if for advice on if it is better to order the chicks online or at the co-op? I just don't want them stressed and don't know how much older they are in the store. We only wan to start with 3-5 chickcs.

Thanks for any direction / help on this adventure.
    Kate

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, 2Buzy, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! Good question! I think (but not sure) that co-ops get their birds from the same hatcheries you or I would. Personally, I've always had good luck with hatcheries and ordering through the mail. Below are a couple links you might find useful. The first is a chart that compares breeds by attribute. The second is a link to breeders and hatcheries. Happy reading!!

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16/chicken-breeders-hatcheries

3. stake

stake Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    Malvern, pa
    welcome aboard...and hello from PA. I am a newbie also. I would suggest finding breeds that will weather well and be more 'friendly'. Get you sea legs before diving in the deep end...lol, my two cents...

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

5. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    Hi from Kentucky![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Google the Henderson Chicken Chart for a great breed resource

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

10. reinvestment

reinvestment Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2013
    I'm in No.Indiana, right near to the Mi line so my weather is pretty cold and snowy. I read the egg laying info at two hatcheries, Townline in Mi and McMurray from somewhere. They both tout the Australorps for best egg layers. However, you have to buy at least 15 from Townline and 25, I think from McMurray. Unless you can get someone else to share or sell them grown or eat what you don't want, those hatcheries are out.
    I have 12 hens and 2 roosters. Wyandottes were supposed to be good egg layers also, so I have half each. Laying is phenomenal. I usually get 10 eggs a day, even in the cold weather and they won't be a year old until May1st. I'm not sure all are laying yet.
    The solution to the amount you want to end with, is buy roosters and eat them when grown. However, you must know, these roosters are very afraid of people or protective of their flock -not really sure, but they attack humans and dogs easily. One of mine will end as meat!! I had Lockenvelter roosters once when I bought a varied fancy breed and they never attacked me. They were beautiful also. BUT I think it would be easier to butcher the mean kind than the nice ones!
    Happy chicken sharing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by