Newbie in Weston, CT

Newmans Farm

Chirping
Mar 14, 2014
Hello to my new Backyard Chicken friends,

My wife and I were looking into starting a small flock at our new home in Weston, CT and have lots of questions before taking the chicken plunge. We have been reading lots of books and websites but these can only take us so far, we were looking to get some real world advice/experience to fully understand what we are getting into, partially for ourselves but more importantly, we want to make sure that our chickens will be happy and healthy. We are animal lovers so we already discussed that once a bird stops laying eggs, our property will be a sanctuary for the birds to live their remaining years since they will be part of the family.

Anyway, we were wondering if there was someone the in the Fairfield county area that has a small flock who would be open to talking to us and possibly, if it's not uncomfortable, to show us their backyard chicken set-ups.

Thanks,
Evan

images

Hello and welcome to BYC!

Lots of us keep our chickens long after they stop laying. They become more like pets than food, although some do eat their birds.

You might want to do some reading here in our learning center. Lots of good reads on all aspect of keeping poultry from building the coop, picking the breeds, raising your new babies, feeding your adult flock and keeping them healthy...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

You can also chat with others in your state and area and see what they are doing and how they raise their birds....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/55/connecticut

Good luck on your new chicken adventures and enjoy BYC!

My wife and I were looking into starting a small flock at our new home in Weston, CT and have lots of questions before taking the chicken plunge. We have been reading lots of books and websites but these can only take us so far, we were looking to get some real world advice/experience to fully understand what we are getting into, partially for ourselves but more importantly, we want to make sure that our chickens will be happy and healthy. We are animal lovers so we already discussed that once a bird stops laying eggs, our property will be a sanctuary for the birds to live their remaining years since they will be part of the family.

Anyway, we were wondering if there was someone the in the Fairfield county area that has a small flock who would be open to talking to us and possibly, if it's not uncomfortable, to show us their backyard chicken set-ups.

Thanks,
Evan

Thanks,
Evan
Hi Evan,

I just moved to Weston in the fall and we are considering building a chicken coop! Were you successful in your endeavor? Are there any town regulations for livestock or where the coop can be on the property? Thanks!

Hi Evan,

I just moved to Weston in the fall and we are considering building a chicken coop! Were you successful in your endeavor? Are there any town regulations for livestock or where the coop can be on the property? Thanks!
The OP hasn't been on the site for 4 months and is unlikely to answer your questions. Perhaps you could try calling the Town and asking your questions directly. Good luck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom