Newbie incubating eggs

Yermite

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 14, 2014
California (high desert)
So I'm getting ready to order my first clutch of eggs to hatch. I've just hooked up my Hova-Bator earlier today. It's working great and has been holding a temp of 102 all day. I'm reading my brains out about everything to do with doing this right, but I've run into a rut. A thread I found on BYC suggests removing the plugs from the incubator while setting the temp(before the eggs go in of course) and then once the temp is set putting the eggs in, waiting 24 hrs, then putting a plug in if you need to go up a degree or two. Does this mean that I have to take the plugs out right now while the incubator is empty or can I try it with the plugs in and go from there? And how many of you have tried this "ignore the humidity until day 18 thing"? Most threads I read recommend a humidity of 45%-50% for the first 18 days and 65% after that, but this particular thread swears by the ignore the humidity technique. She says to not mess with any watering at all until the 18th day and then "I don't increase the humidity until one egg pips- usually day 19. That being said, for days 19, 20, and 21 (after someone pips), roll up paper towels and stuff them in the water channels, then fill the channels. Lay another half paper towel across the wire." How do you think this will do?

GQF has been in the incubator business for decades. I'd follow their instructions instead of someone who likes to do things their own way. Not trying to be insulting to the person or people with the idea, as I didn't even read the thread you are referencing. I'd just run it as they suggest with the plug. At hatch time if condensation forms on the window then remove it as they suggest. I've ran one of those styrofoam ones for probably 10-20 years and have had good results following their directions. Have also had good results with their cabinet models following their instructions so no need in experimentation on my part.
Good luck.

GQF has been in the incubator business for decades. I'd follow their instructions instead of someone who likes to do things their own way. Not trying to be insulting to the person or people with the idea, as I didn't even read the thread you are referencing. I'd just run it as they suggest with the plug. At hatch time if condensation forms on the window then remove it as they suggest. I've ran one of those styrofoam ones for probably 10-20 years and have had good results following their directions. Have also had good results with their cabinet models following their instructions so no need in experimentation on my part.
Good luck.
Ditto!

Back
Top Bottom